You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone give me some links to videos on fading images to transparency? 

I found one a while ago which helped me out, but it seems to have disappeared. Does anyone have a link to it? I recall the image being manipulated was in an underground garage.

My issue is, I can create a box and try to set up the gradient, but on the image I get clear lines where the gradient box starts and finishes.

How do I get this smooth? 

And where do I place the box in the layers?

• Staff

Hi Gumbo23,

The below written tutorial from MEB should explain how to create this effect :)

1) Create a rectangular shape (vector) with the Rectangle Tool with the size of the photo (or the document if the photo fills the entire document).

2) Apply a gradient from black to white to the rectangle with the Gradient Tool.

3) With the rectangle still selected, go to menu Layer ▹ Rasterize to Mask. You should get the graduation you are looking for.

I hope this helps
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Gumbo23,

The below written tutorial from MEB should explain how to create this effect :)

1) Create a rectangular shape (vector) with the Rectangle Tool with the size of the photo (or the document if the photo fills the entire document).

2) Apply a gradient from black to white to the rectangle with the Gradient Tool.

3) With the rectangle still selected, go to menu Layer ▹ Rasterize to Mask. You should get the graduation you are looking for.

I hope this helps
C

Where do I place this in layers?

Gumbo,

Are you trying to have a shape fade from solid to transparent? If so, you can either just use the transparency tool, or with the gradient tool, have one node set to 100% opacity and the other to 0% opacity.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Gumbo,

Are you trying to have a shape fade from solid to transparent? If so, you can either just use the transparency tool, or with the gradient tool, have one node set to 100% opacity and the other to 0% opacity.

What is the transparency tool? And where is it?

• Staff

Hi gumbo23,

Thanks for the file. The issue is with the first vertical rectangle counting from bottom (i left it selected in the file i'm sending you). You have to drag the left side handle of that rectangle a little to the right until it ends up over the left boundary of the spine. Then the gradient you used in the vertical rectangle on top (the second layer counting from top) will appear smooth.

On 9/15/2016 at 4:58 AM, gumbo23 said:

What is the transparency tool? And where is it?

The transparency tool is practically a transparent gradient. Select the objects you want and just click and drag. I think you'll like it.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 6 months later...

I use gradients to blend objects as in previous example, but using gradient tool as a mask has been cumbersome as I have not managed to set transparent-to-black linear gradient as a default. But this transparency tool seems to be missing from AP (but not AD)! Is there a reason for this? If not, then I request this tool to be added to AP also.

-Chaos reigns-

But this transparency tool seems to be missing from AP (but not AD)! Is there a reason for this?

Even though that feature can be used for photo editing, I think it's one of the tools to have Designer stand out. Kind of like how Photo can covert paths into selections, whereas Designer will be able to do the opposite.

Thanks for opinios, my strongest point here is that I don't particularily like AP's behaviour when choosing gradient tool and if I then change the setting 'none' to 'linear' or 'elliptical', it does this straight away

post-3465-0-03640400-1490820699_thumb.jpg

if I choose first the right gradient from small box next to 'none', it nicely shows 'transparent-to-black' and other saved options nicely when hovering over and I can choose the right thing.

So, I think it would be better if gradient tool would take no action until we order it to. When the whole image is covered with gradient automatically is kind of unlogical.

-Chaos reigns-

So, I think it would be better if gradient tool would take no action until we order it to. When the whole image is covered with gradient automatically is kind of unlogical.

You don't need to select a gradient mode first. By default, it does say none, but if you swipe over an object, the mode will change automatically to Linear. The default direction of the gradient map is your call unless you actually select Linear first.

• 1 year later...
34 minutes ago, gabiange said:

How do you make a transparency mask in affinity publisher? Is it possible?

Publisher has Transparency like Affinity Designer does.

From Publisher
Screen-Shot-2019-02-15-at-21-10-35.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by or want to accomplish with a transparency mask.

But given an object (including text) you can pick the Gradient Tool, click one edge or corner of the object and drag to the opposite edge/corner. Then in the Context Menu you can choose whether the gradient is to apply to the Fill or the Stroke, the type of gradient (Linear, Radial, ...), and the colors (including transparent) to be used. You should be able to find info about that in the Affinity Designer and/or Photo tutorial videos about Gradients.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

So I am showing you what I think is what I was looking for but the transparency gradient doesn't apply the same way on every objects of the group so it is kind of weird... picture linked to show you what I mean.The arm, the dark blue lines and the light blue doesn't react the same way but this is the same mask applied on all of them... 

Capture d’écran, le 2019-02-20 à 16.24.28.png

In having a hard time figuring out what you're trying from just a screenshot. Can you attach a sample .afpub file that shows the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1