You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.5.0.17 - Typography - No 'Smart Quotes'

Just trying to make an image of some text using smart quotes in AD but they remain plain " not 66 99 - see Arial for an example of 66 and 99

post-28493-0-11184500-1473628781_thumb.png post-28493-0-15960400-1473628796_thumb.png

Are smart quotes not ready yet?

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

Hi Ken--is there a switch to throw for them? Is there a shortcut? I cannot find either if so.

I cannot find either, either! That aside, Adventurer Light/Black SF doesn't actually have separate left and right quotation marks.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well, it's hard to have a dumb font produce smart quotes...

I thought this would be so. I would have checked, but as I do not allow fonts from installed applications to remain in the Windows font folder and generally delete them entirely, I couldn't check.

I cannot find either, either! That aside, Adventurer Light/Black SF doesn't actually have separate left and right quotation marks.

Sorry Alfred, I didn't check if that font uses smart quotes

Hi Ken--is there a switch to throw for them? Is there a shortcut? I cannot find either if so. Or are you typing them?

attachicon.gifcapture-000189.png

I can't see one.

Here is Arial in AD and DP:

post-28493-0-21561800-1473628545_thumb.png post-28493-0-88742400-1473628564_thumb.png

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

According to my font manager High-Logic Main Type 7 Adventurer Light/Black SF have single smart quotes available but not double.

Yes - that was a bad example to choose - see my reply above for how Arial looks in AD and DP

Windows short cut for smart quotes: Alt + 0147 opening quote ( “ ) , Alt + 0148 closing quote ( ” )

The Adventurer Light font that I have doesn't have those characters so the Alt + Unicode fails

You could type two single curly quotes: which the font does contain, using Alt + 0145 opening quote ( ‘ ) , Alt + 0146 closing quote ( )

I’m sure they must be in the development pipeline. The help page relating to inserting special characters mentions copyright and trademark symbols, which are also missing (well at least I couldn’t find them anyway).

AD does understand about smart quotes though when pasting text, from for example, LibreOffice Writer which creates them automatically - if the font has them. :)

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Janopen. This is helpful, smart quotes must be in the pipeline particularly as there will be an Affinity Publisher.

Hi Ken

As you pointed out this is something I expect will be introduced more in publisher, however if you want to create a feature request for it than I don't think that would be a bad idea at all

Cheers

Thanks Chris. see https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24815-ad-typography-please-add-smart-quotes/

As you pointed out this is something I expect will be introduced more in publisher, however if you want to create a feature request for it than I don't think that would be a bad idea at all

This is not what I wanted to read...

Question - Is AD being developed for Illustrators only or Graphic Designers generally (including Illustrators)?

I'm wanting to, along with numerous other members of this forum I expect, replace Adobe Illustrator with AD for graphic design purposes (not illustration) and that includes professional typography layout.

AD's full feature list for typography is comprehensive   https:/affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/full-feature-list/ 

Is there now a change in the road map?

• Staff

This is not what I wanted to read...

[...]

Is there now a change in the road map?

I think it's just a question of priorities. We will probably implement smart quotes as an 'Auto-correct' type feature which may well debut in Publisher, but could then subsequently be ported to the other apps. Until then you can use <Alt> codes or CharMap as outlined above.

I think it's just a question of priorities. We will probably implement smart quotes as an 'Auto-correct' type feature which may well debut in Publisher, but could then subsequently be ported to the other apps. Until then you can use <Alt> codes or CharMap as outlined above.

If you do, please make sure to keep it optional. And perhaps include a feature to protect specific non-smart quotes from being converted to smart quotes while still auto-converting others. After all, if you’re writing a book or an article on the proper use of quotes, you may need to use both types in the same book or article or illustration (graphic).

• 3 years later...

If you do, please make sure to keep it optional. And perhaps include a feature to protect specific non-smart quotes from being converted to smart quotes while still auto-converting others. After all, if you’re writing a book or an article on the proper use of quotes, you may need to use both types in the same book or article or illustration (graphic).

I certainly agree with Adam S, it is a real slog to do this on pasted text.

John

In the meanwhile, there is a very good way of processing a text by using LibreOffice.

First download LibreOffice and install it.
Got - File - New - Text document
Make sure the style is set to Default
Goto:Tools - Autocorrect - Autocorrect options - Localised Options
At the bottom for Single Quotes - Start Quote click on the box you will then be taken to a set of characters
there you can choose Initial quote, this will change the Start Box to (U+2018)
Do similarly for Single End Quote, Double Start Quote and Double End Quote.
Click on OK,  Goto your text  CTRL A to select it, CTRL C to copy it and CTRL V to paste it.
Goto Tools - Autocorrect - apply
It will then completely convert all your Straight quotes to Typographic ones.
If you intend using this at all it is only fair if you make a small donation to a very good program.

John

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.