You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Im struggling a bit with a piece of text; I just want the outline with a transparent centre. 

If I just set a stroke, the stroke goes 'inside' the letters.

If I set an 'outline' in fx, then remove the fill, it removes the outline itself.

I have tried making another 'punch out' image and using geometry, but it axes all of the letters, not just the centres.

The only way I can think of to do it is rasterise the image and then 'erase' the centre, but this would be messy and inefficient.

I know this should be straightforward, but appear to be pretty well stuck now. 

I assume this is something real simple that I am missing. 

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Jim

post-35394-0-57431400-1473558552_thumb.png

Set the stroke alignment to outside (third icon in the bottom row of the Stroke panel).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi wscrcom,

You have to build this in a different way if you want to enlarge the stroke keeping the letters as they are:

- duplicated the text (to keep a copy of the original) and convert it to curves

- selected all the letters (curves) and add them (boolean operation) to create a single object from them 

- then apply a stroke to this object if needed.

Changing its stroke will enlarge the black outline around the letters without affecting them.

Hi Meb

Thanks for responding. 

This lettering was originally in a logo that I made for a local business  http://prntscr.com/ch266l

what I am trying to do now is replicate the logo in line only to make a watermark for some photos. 

So what I actually want to achieve would look like this http://prntscr.com/ch26l0  but with transparency inside the letters instead of white. 

To go from this

post-8358-0-76263700-1473682489_thumb.png

to this

post-8358-0-68728200-1473682512_thumb.png

I simply converted to curves, ungrouped the result and then clicked on 'Add' on the Geometry toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm glad the issue was solved, but for the future, in regards to post 5, is there a "kerning" option in the paragraph formatting? Kerning will space out the letters. Doing that, you won't have to convert to curves.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!