You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More Workspace Options

Absar

Hi,

When I posted these remarks in a different thread, I was advised to post these requests here.

Currently AD and AP offer two kind of workspaces: Docked and Separated.

The Docked workspace neither allows docking the tool palette on the right side, nor does it allow multiple columns of palettes docked to each other.

The 'Separated Mode' does not remember the size of previously saved document on re-opening and every time the document title bar hides beneath the control palette. Then, the only way to access the title bar in order to maximise the window or minimise it in the dock, one must utilise 'Toggle UI' command.

The 'Separated Mode' also does not allow docking the 'Tools' palette to the Studio palettes, or multiple columns of Studio palettes docked to each other.

Besides the fact that I am used to setting up my workspaces this way for over a decade now, according to a research, it is also more efficient for right-handed people to keep palettes and tools on the right side.

Thanks in advance!

post-31922-0-62021200-1473508476_thumb.png

Designer, Photo, Publisher   |   MacBook Pro, 16" 2020, macOS 11   |   @mrAbsarAhmed

Even though I prefer the current layout, I think this is important since it is beneficial for every designer to have their own desired workspace.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Sure thing. I'm just a member by the way, but I think it would make sense for this to be added.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Absar,

I agree with you and bleduc in that even more workspace customization would be great. I love the fact that I can customize the toolbar and the tools. My choice in palette placement is quite different from yours Absar. I prefer to spread my tools around more evenly so that they are all easily accessible. Having them all on the right just doesn't seem right to me! :lol: Of course everyone is different and that is great thing about about being able to customize things, everyone can do things their own way!

Hokusai

post-3209-0-12062000-1473657745_thumb.png

Thanks everyone! I think I can add some additional info, in case it helps someone.

If I remember correctly, it was InDesign CS2 Bible, in which Galen Gruman pointed out a usability research—the right-handed people unconsciously tend to leave the cursor on the right side of the screen, and every time they move cursor to the left side of the screen, to select a tool or something, they lose 0.28 seconds.

98% of world's population is right-handed and some of us, some time spend 18-20 hours a day with design apps. Sometimes, keyboard shortcuts are either not available or simply just not possible for every operation e.g. the boolean shapes tool in AD. Now consider the fact, that every design app sticks the tool palette on the left side by default, and most people utilise the default settings without consciously thinking about personal workspace/workflow efficiency.

...you can do the maths.

One thing is for sure, though. Mac users like me do not want to go back to Adobe.  :)

Designer, Photo, Publisher   |   MacBook Pro, 16" 2020, macOS 11   |   @mrAbsarAhmed

Yeah, I’ve brought up a similar request before where I asked for different workspace modes, as I’m used to from Fireworks. For example you could have an expanded mode with all panels open or a collapsed mode with only the icons of the panels visible. And you could have your own custom modes with a custom amount and order of panels shown. And of course it saved the position of each. And you could switch between modes at any time.

That would be ideal.

Here is another idea:

Why not put the palettes horizontaly like in Canvas with an option to rearrange them? It could look like Excel Sheets and every user can move any palette to the position sutable for him. This way it will take only one row and the space on the right side would be free for work.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)