You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how are brushes made?

VectorCat

I really hope it will come sooner rather than later, because the ability to make simple stitch stroke patterns will be a very important decision as to whether I end up buying this program!  I'm doing the trial right now and really enjoy it so far, but I will need things like zigzag as well as plain stitches to be able to design the patterns I need to make.

Any telling when even basic stitch stroke patterns/brushes might be added?

Yeah I am with you Patchwork something like this is going to persuade me either way, I am hoping to get the programme for xmas as i needed an idea to give the missus; I am also on the trial and find the programe really great except a few features which I feel it needs (mainly this) and would like a rough timeline before we purchase.

What kind of stitch brush do you need? You can make one in Affinity. 

Here I made 2 basic stitches.

Go to your brushes pallet and > import category...

and import the file i have provided in the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7l5svxzj8tdh5by/Mixemediasad%20Custom%20Stitch%20brush%20kit%20101.afbrushes?dl=0

Create a stoke apply my stitch brush pattern and let me know if that closer to what your looking for. I know there a re all types of stitch types but these are the most basic and common stiches I could think of off thtop of my head.

Cheers

Ronnie 

I going to have to create a tutorial on this but read the help on brushes. 

1. create an image  in Affinity 256 x 256 px square

2. add a black background

3. draw your subject ( in your case the stitch in white)

4. export a .png file 

5 create a new brush based on your png image

6. double click the brush in the tool to envoke the brush editor

7. change setting to repeat and adjust the stroke to the size you want ( this sets the default)

8. done rename your brush if you like.

What kind of stitch brush do you need? You can make one in Affinity. 

Here I made 2 basic stitches.

Go to your brushes pallet and > import category...

and import the file i have provided in the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7l5svxzj8tdh5by/Mixemediasad%20Custom%20Stitch%20brush%20kit%20101.afbrushes?dl=0

Ronnie, thank you!  These are both fantastic!!  All I need after this is a zigzag brush, and I'll be completely set!!  I don't quite have the hang of how to make them myself yet, so if there's anyway you might be able to upload a basic zigzag stitch brush, I'd seriously owe you!

Jon, give these stitches a try, they may be just right for you, too!  :

Thanks again!  Very exciting!!

Ronnie, thank you!  These are both fantastic!!  All I need after this is a zigzag brush, and I'll be completely set!!  I don't quite have the hang of how to make them myself yet, so if there's anyway you might be able to upload a basic zigzag stitch brush, I'd seriously owe you!

Jon, give these stitches a try, they may be just right for you, too!  :

Thanks again!  Very exciting!!

Glad they working out for you. You can delete that set  and import this new brush set created just for you and whoever else grabs these up. Now you have no excuse for not buyingAffinity Designer  ;)  :P  It is worth every penny! Seriously in lite of the competition this thing cost pennies! (yah I am a fan boy) hahaha

Disclaimer: I am in no shape of form in affiliation with the the  Affinity Designer team ( I could only wish)  All an any comments made by me are of my own and are no way represent the views and beliefs of the team at Affinity Designer. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unz1lkjs491r4f3/Mixmediasalad%20Design-%20Custom%20Affinity%20Designer%20Stitch%20brush%20kit%201.afbrushes?dl=0

Glad they working out for you. You can delete that set  and import this new brush set created just for you and whoever else grabs these up. Now you have no excuse for not buyingAffinity Designer  ;)  :P  It is worth every penny! Seriously in lite of the competition this thing cost pennies! (yah I am a fan boy) hahaha

Disclaimer: I am in no shape of form in affiliation with the the  Affinity Designer team ( I could only wish)  All an any comments made by me are of my own and are no way represent the views and beliefs of the team at Affinity Designer. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/unz1lkjs491r4f3/Mixmediasalad%20Design-%20Custom%20Affinity%20Designer%20Stitch%20brush%20kit%201.afbrushes?dl=0

Ronnie, thank you!!  These are great!  I'm using them right now, and they work like a charm!  :)

Oh yeah I believe you, this program just feels right, and ought to give a good punch to the soft underbelly of the reigning (not for much longer, I hope!) tyrant some of us have been slaves to for far too long.  I'm so glad a program that is able to stand up to it is finally available for Mac!  Thanks again for taking the time to create and upload these brushes!!  It's so light on my somewhat older laptop, too, which is great.

***I also don't work for Affinity Designer or represent it in any way - Just so happy and relieved to find a program that's better than what I've had access to thus far! 

Wow amazing, definitely need to find a tutorial for making brushes such as this. I would love to see the work you are doing with them Patchwork.

I have seen your work RonnieMCbride and I am really impressed !

Yesterday I created a vector of a cartoon caractor I saw on the internet but when i zoomed in it was pixely (I was definetly on the vector side not raster), is it becuase I had a small doc. size?

however regardless of the pixel finish I managed to make it into a repeating brush

Thanks very much!

Wow amazing, definitely need to find a tutorial for making brushes such as this. I would love to see the work you are doing with them Patchwork.

I have seen your work RonnieMCbride and I am really impressed !

Yesterday I created a vector of a cartoon caractor I saw on the internet but when i zoomed in it was pixely (I was definetly on the vector side not raster), is it becuase I had a small doc. size?

however regardless of the pixel finish I managed to make it into a repeating brush

Thanks very much!

Thank you  for the compliment! I'll try and get  a tutorial posted sometime today as of right now there none on doing this sort of thing online. as far as the pixelation goes I have to  see the file to figure out what happened.  maybe when you exported the character you exported at a low resolution. I dont know. I have to see the file.

You are welcome! Would love to see how you are using them. 

Cheers!

I posted an image of what I'm working on with your stitch brushes (thank you again!) in the forum section for showing our designs.  Trying to take advantage of the building of shapes that vector programs are so great for to design a quilt.  It's a first time effort, but hopefully it'll come out alright in the end.  Much more stitching will soon be added!  I really can't thank you enough for that help!  

Now I've just got to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the pen tool...For some reason the ALT key isn't really doing what I want it to to break curves at a corner edge.  If you draw a curved line, then hold down the ALT key, tap on the node, then release the ALT key, will it allow you to create a corner and a new curved line?  Like for instance if you're creating a basic leaf shape.  The first line is curved, then you break it at the tip node, can you continue on making another curved line to finish it?  I'm wondering if I'm going wrong by keeping my finger on the ALT key to make the next stroke - the stroke comes out straight with no handles to curve it with!  Will just a tap on the node with ALT pushed down, then release ALT before I start to draw the next line, do it?....Sorry if that sounds really staggeringly, stupidly, unnecessarily confusing.  I have a hard time explaining these things!  XD

I posted an image of what I'm working on with your stitch brushes (thank you again!) in the forum section for showing our designs.  Trying to take advantage of the building of shapes that vector programs are so great for to design a quilt.  It's a first time effort, but hopefully it'll come out alright in the end.  Much more stitching will soon be added!  I really can't thank you enough for that help!  

Now I've just got to figure out what I'm doing wrong with the pen tool...For some reason the ALT key isn't really doing what I want it to to break curves at a corner edge.  If you draw a curved line, then hold down the ALT key, tap on the node, then release the ALT key, will it allow you to create a corner and a new curved line?  Like for instance if you're creating a basic leaf shape.  The first line is curved, then you break it at the tip node, can you continue on making another curved line to finish it?  I'm wondering if I'm going wrong by keeping my finger on the ALT key to make the next stroke - the stroke comes out straight with no handles to curve it with!  Will just a tap on the node with ALT pushed down, then release ALT before I start to draw the next line, do it?....Sorry if that sounds really staggeringly, stupidly, unnecessarily confusing.  I have a hard time explaining these things!  XD

You are very welcome. I glad I was able to help. now for you second issue. Llets take your leaf as the example. Try this 

click your first point 

then click and drag your second point you second point 

while still holding your mouse down hold down hold alt to break the curve at the tip and point the the handle in your new direction

then let go of the mouse  first  then let go of alt after click  or click and drag your next point 

I think if you do that you getthe result your looking for.

IF you didnt get it right hold down the command key  and either click on a pont  and either move the points ar pic an area on the segment to move the curve points or handles into position.

when your done positioning let go of the command key 

and continue drawing your shape until you come to your last point. 

click on the start point to close the shape  or hit the esc key  to exit the tool and finalize what you drawn up to that point.

hope that helps.

-Ronnie 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...