You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Draw instead of CorelDraw ?

Although I'm not professional, I have used CorelDRAW for many years, and in fact, having no reasonable alternative to CD was my hang up for switching to a Mac - which I finally did two years ago.  I do a lot of graphic hobbies, plus work for friends and family (posters, invitations, etc.)  Some of the biggest things I miss are:  Contour/Offset, manually tweaking the kerning on artistic text, and being able to add a bitmap transparency.

On the other hand, there are a lot of things AD does that CD doesn't....

Hands down the best Mac Vector program out there, and I think I tried everything with a free trial!!

The forum is great also, a lot of helpful people out there!

If your are on a Mac - definitely go for the free trial.  I think you will be convinced!

So I understand that if you prepare a file such as PDF ( CMYK) and give to the printing dimensions, colors , etc. will be correctly mapped as I would have done in CorelDraw ?

A PDF from a properly made file whether done from CD or AD is no different per se. 

I thought of another big thing I miss from CD - being able to put text in a shape box (distort the shape, say into a circle) while still keeping it text. 

PDF - have sent invites to printer with bleed, etc with no problems.

As far as what AD does that CD doesn't, would have to think about that now as it's been awhile since I've bee in CD, and it's much easier to remember the things that I CAN'T do, than the new things that I've gotten used to using.  :-)

I haven't used CD since about version 9 or 10, when it was no longer available for Mac OS. At least 10 years. AD does not have some features that CD had then, such as blends and mesh warps. CD's point editing was more advanced, better IMO than Illustrator, and there was a bit map tracing module that worked really well. But over all, AD seems to me to work more smoothly. And it does do some things that CD did not do as well back then, such as transparency and blend modes.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I haven't used CD since about version 9 or 10, when it was no longer available for Mac OS. At least 10 years. AD does not have some features that CD had then, such as blends and mesh warps. CD's point editing was more advanced, better IMO than Illustrator, and there was a bit map tracing module that worked really well. But over all, AD seems to me to work more smoothly. And it does do some things that CD did not do as well back then, such as transparency and blend modes.

IMHO, CorelDRAW has the best bitmap tracer utility.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I have used Corel draw from version 5 up to version x6 for professional print design (running it on Parallels since 2006) and I have also trialled every newer version since then to keep up to date with it (but work-wise sticking to x6).

Since Affinity has been released on Mac I have switched and am now doing about 90% of the work I did in Corel draw in Affinity now (thenother 10% is opening old CDR files and exporting them as PdF to continue wok in Designer).

So, for me Affinity Designer does everything I need (especially now that symbols and trxr styles aee coming) and I haven't had any complaints from printers about the file quality or from customers about the printed results.

However, depending on what kindnof work youbare doing you might need some of the features that are NOT in Designer (yet?), simply because Corel Draw is an absolute behemothnon regard of features and you might use another part of it than I did.

Mu suggestion is to take a look at the work you did during the last six month and see if you could recreate it with Designer — if so, buy Affinity and make the switch (but keep Corel Draw on you machine, justnon case).

• Staff

Hi MiNos,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's a trial available in Affinity website (10 days trial). Juts give it a try and check if it does what you need.

If you have any questions or find trouble doing something just ask here in the forums. There's a large number of video tutorials available to help you get started here.

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, Tegan Blackburn said:

Yes, I would also use Affinity draw as a corel draw mac alternative. Because, it is much better than that.

Sure. Please, create and/or edit some dxf files for my laser cutter. Or use some very simple warping on some vectors, how about simply bending some text so it's shaped like a trapezoid or circle? Oh - and please, try using some vector brushes and export those "vectors" as EPS so you can sell your artwork at stock websites...

Affinity Designer can be an alternative for a lot of things you could do in CorelDraw. But it still lacks so many basic vector features which are standards in the industry for decades that I might have missed a joke here, if you claim "it [Affinity Designer] is much better than that [CorelDraw]".

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)