You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 13)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 13 Here

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Grouping, ungrouping and moving constrained objects in the Layers panel should now leave them in the same visual position with constraints relating to their new position
  • Artistic Text creation is now more like the Mac App Store version
  • Allow Pen Tool and Shape Tool to reinitialise the original mouse down position mid-drag by holding down Space
  • Don't add undo history when 'Create' symbol resolves to no action (creating a symbol from an existing symbol, for example)
  • Fix for moving Symbols up/down causing crash in certain situations
  • Fix for moving objects inside symbols up/down not invalidating other symbol instances in the main view
  • Performance improvement for Node Tool when selecting an object with a large number of nodes
  • Fix for SMB share issues
  • Removed duplicate Move and Artboard tool entries in 'Customise Tools'
  • Miscellaneous other small fixes

MattP,

Thanks for all the hard work that you and your team do! I'm still hoping to see "Added: Hide/Show All---for Hokusai" on the list of Fixes/Improvements!

I noticed that the odd issue that I posted about from Beta 12 is still there. If you have an image on the bottom layer and other layers on top, if you add a layer when you have the bottom layer selected, it puts the new layer all the way at the top instead of right above it. 

Keep up the great work!

Hokusai

• Staff

MattP,

Thanks for all the hard work that you and your team do! I'm still hoping to see "Added: Hide/Show All---for Hokusai" on the list of Fixes/Improvements!

I noticed that the odd issue that I posted about from Beta 12 is still there. If you have an image on the bottom layer and other layers on top, if you add a layer when you have the bottom layer selected, it puts the new layer all the way at the top instead of right above it. 

Keep up the great work!

Hokusai

Yes, I'll sort out the layer order insertion issue as soon as I can :)  Sorry about the lack of Hide/Show All still - we're running around right now trying to patch 1.4.2 to make sure it's working properly from the App Store when Sierra is launched - even though we're nearly at the point where 1.5 could be released - but crucially not quite ready...

Busy, busy, busy... ;)

So do you recommend upgrading to Sierra if we're only running the Mac Store version?

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• Staff

So do you recommend upgrading to Sierra if we're only running the Mac Store version?

George

It's the other way around - if you do decide to install Sierra on the 20th September when it's released, you'll encounter some problems with Affinity 1.4.2 so to make sure our users don't have a bad experience, we're trying to patch it with all the relevant fixes to make a 1.4.3 that's identical to 1.4.2 but has Sierra fixes.

:)

• Staff

Hi,

I'm still having problems with the performance as I post few days ago.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24515-multi-artboard-lag-decreases-graphics-performance/?p=115546

Is that has been solve with that beta or not yet?

Thanks

I haven't had chance to fix those performance issues yet, sorry - a future beta will hopefully see it get much better :)

MattP,

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this or not but when I'm using the pen tool to draw and I pan (using the space bar) it actually switches to the pan tool and when I let off of the space bar, I have the pan tool and not the pen tool. I noticed it with Beta 12 and it seems to be happening more with Beta 13. Is this a known issue? 

Hokusai

• Staff

MattP,

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this or not but when I'm using the pen tool to draw and I pan (using the space bar) it actually switches to the pan tool and when I let off of the space bar, I have the pan tool and not the pen tool. I noticed it with Beta 12 and it seems to be happening more with Beta 13. Is this a known issue? 

Hokusai

Hmm... I'm not seeing this? Can I ask what version of OS X you're using? :)

Hi,

I always wanted nods selection rotate or scale would be available. I only found how to scale a selection of nods with the transform box but is not perfect. Maybe one day :)

Same here pela. Scale, rotate, align, etc... Maybe even some sort of soft selection... i.e. select a node, scroll mouse to define fall-off circle, drag.

One thing at a time. ;-) In the meantime there are ways to work around these minor things. :-)

使用渐变工具, 吸取颜色不能给其中某一个节点吸取颜色, 这使得渐变工具要修改颜色变得不方便.

translate.google:
Using the Gradient tool, to which the color can not draw a node to learn colors, which makes the gradient tool to modify the color becomes inconvenient.

Thanks for the update!

I have 2 issues to address.

1. Please make the keyboard shortcuts input-language agnostic! It's so hard for bilingual users to work as it now. I write texts in Greek and every time I have to switch to English

to use the shortcuts...it's awful! 

2. The Controller for tablet use still doesn't work in beta.

Keep up the good work!

• Staff

1. Please make the keyboard shortcuts input-language agnostic! It's so hard for bilingual users to work as it now. I write texts in Greek and every time I have to switch to English

to use the shortcuts...it's awful! 

Can you provide some more information why the shortcuts don't work in a greek keyboard layout? I'm assuming the menu shortcut work fine?

Can you provide some more information why the shortcuts don't work in a greek keyboard layout? I'm assuming the menu shortcut work fine?

This is a request from Serif from the beginning and I wonder why other people doesn't address this issue.

It's not the keyboard layout, it's the input source language.

For example, when I have Greek as an input source language the Z key for zooming doesn't work or the P or V

or any other keyboard shortcut doesn't work when I am in Greek, I have to change the input source language to English to work.

I work in Illustrator or in Sketch or any other app and I don't have this issue, I have this issue only in Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo...!

Can you fix it PLEASE??

Same here pela. Scale, rotate, align, etc... Maybe even some sort of soft selection... i.e. select a node, scroll mouse to define fall-off circle, drag.

One thing at a time. ;-) In the meantime there are ways to work around these minor things. :-)

Can you please provide images or video links of this scaling, rotating of nodes that you speak of, I did a simple youtube search and I didn't see anything that stood out to me showing this. 

Has anything changed recently in how gradients are made or handled? I don't remember having too many problems in AD 1.4, but in the beta I'm finding it hard to get vector gradients. AD seems always to want to rasterise gradient content, and not only conical, which I believe cannot be handled in vector output, but even linear. Plus, and I did't notice this before, I often cut and past content from AD into Photoshop, mainly into mockups. Now, even with a linear gradient, the copy and paste ends up being horribly pixelated in PS. Flat colors are okay. Sharp as you might expect. But I can barely get a gradient in there at all. In the past I noticed that there appeared to be a difference in selecting the gradient tool to make a gradient and doing it from the normal color palette. Any tips, anyone? Any thoughts, staff?

If you are asking for pics or video examples of Designer doing these things it doesn't have the capabilities yet.

Illustrator is another matter... 

I know AD doesn't do this. I am asking you to post this functionality in other apps you have seen that can do it. Pics, links, videos, anything.

Here's just a few simple examples that come to mind quickly. See attached screenshot.

Manipulating nodes in these ways allow for a lot of quick and powerful creative freedom.

post-305-0-03597000-1473576234_thumb.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.