You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having trouble exporting image

After using the selection brush tool to crop a white background into an image in Photo Persona I saved the work, then exported it as JPEG, bilinear, whole document and when I open the saved image on my desktop it saved the original unedited image. I've attempted this multiple times, selecting different exporting options but the result is always the same.. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? Please help. 

• Staff

Hi cdel1234,

Welcome to the forums.

After using the Selection brush to select your white background, if you then press Delete/Backspace this will remove the background. If you export as JPEG you will still end up with a white background as JPEG doesn't support transparency. Export using PNG instead and the transparency will be supported.

Hope this helps

Thanks Lee, however I'm still unable to save the image after using the masking tool to crop out the background. I save the image the way I want it, but then after I export it as a JPEG or PNG and save to my desktop the saved image is just the original, unedited image. How can I get the masked white/transparent background and other edits to stay with the image when I export it? Thanks for your help!

• 4 months later...

cdel1234,

As Lee said, the JPEG file format does not support transparency, so there is no way to avoid a JPEG file having a background color. PNG does support transparency but to export it, you need to set the document to have a transparent background (Document menu > Transparent Background must be checked).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

cdel1234,

As Lee said, the JPEG file format does not support transparency, so there is no way to avoid a JPEG file having a background color. PNG does support transparency but to export it, you need to set the document to have a transparent background (Document menu > Transparent Background must be checked).

Thank you for the reply, R C-R. I've done exactly that and I'm still unable to successfully export the image as edited. Here's what I'm doing:

After using the selection brush tool to select the desired part of the image, I am then using the toggle quick mask tool to add a white background to the image. I then save and export to .PNG or .JPEG and both files still save as the original, unedited image instead of the image I edited with the white background. Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks very much for your help!

The problem might be the definition. Are you exporting a masked image in a .png format, you have to define the "background".
Go to layers in the middle bar on your right where it says
| Adjustment | LAYERS | Effects | Styles | Stock |
Here you have to define the layers of your masked image.
From here you can export the image as described  :)

• Staff

Hi cdel1234,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Quick Mask doesn't add a white background to the image - that white is only one of the modes you can use to visualize the selection/mask while you are creating it using the Quick Mask mode.

I believe what you want to do is to select part of an image - say an object - then remove/delete all the rest of the image to have it alone in a white background. To do this create a selection, using the selection tools or using the Quick Mask to help you create the selection, then after you have the selection created quit the quick mask mode if you have used it, go to menu Select ▸ Invert Pixel Selection to invert the selection so everything else except the object you selected becomes selected and press Delete on you keyboard. You will end up with the object you selected over  a transparent background with the previous selection still active. Go to menu Select ▸ Deselect to deselect it (it's no needed anymore), then go to menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer and change the colour to white in the Colour panel. Move this new fill layer to the bottom of the stack in the Layers panel to place it behind your object. Save the file as JPG or PNG.