You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.17 (Windows)

Hi SprindigoJo.

It's highly likely you'll need to upload the dump file (.dmp).

You'll find that on your C Drive in Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports. 

'user name' is highly likely to be you. The AppData folder won't be visible by default. In Windows Explorer, at the top left, click 'View' then toward the right side check (tick) 'Hidden Items'.

Have you between the last beta and this one had a graphics card driver update? The reason I'm asking is I'm on an ASUS laptop (ROG G750JS) and had a crash issue with the last beta due to, I think, an NVIDA driver update. I was able to fix it by uninstalling the beta, cleaning out as many traces of it I could find then reinstalling. My issue had nothing to do with a tablet (I'm using a Bamboo) however it may be worth having a go (?).  

You'll find that on your C Drive in Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports. 

'user name' is highly likely to be you. The AppData folder won't be visible by default. In Windows Explorer, at the top left, click 'View' then toward the right side check (tick) 'Hidden Items'.  

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports will take you directly to the correct folder in all recent versions of Windows, even if your AppData folder is hidden. After copying the bold text from my previous sentence, paste it into the address bar at the top of an Explorer window (or press WinKey+R, paste into the 'Open:' box in the Run dialog and press 'OK').

Leaving AppData in its default hidden state merely means that it isn't listed when you view your %UserProfile% folder in Windows (File) Explorer. You can still view the AppData folder itself, or any of its subfolders.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports will take you directly to the correct folder in all recent versions of Windows

Agreed although it's quite useful to know the path manually to the AppData folder.

After uninstalling an app there can be traces of it left in the Roaming or Local folders which reside in the AppData folder and can be deleted manually. The files/folders can be left there without concern however IMO it's part of Windows OS house keeping. 

Agreed although it's quite useful to know the path manually to the AppData folder.

As it was explained to me in just the previous thread of the Windows beta, the folder is hidden. In order to access it manually, type in just %AppData% in the navigation box. Normally, it would be under Computer > C Drive > Users > (Name of Computer) > AppData, but there is no bridge from the computer name to AppData.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I guess I'm not  explaining clearly.

I'm fully aware where AppData is, and that it's not visible by default (as pointed out above) however there are Windows users who aren't aware. 

Typing %AppData% into Explorer takes one to AppData\Roaming. Others not familiar with the AppData folder will highly likely not be aware of the folders Local and LocalLow also residing there.

I'm attempting to point out to others who aren't aware of, and where the AppData folder is, by 'travelling' the path manually IMO is an easier way to know where it is and to retain that information.

In other words it's the difference between self-drive (manually travelling the path) and taking a cab (typing %AppData%).

Also, with regard to AD's Crash folder location I couldn't retain in my mind, without retyping it several times, the command %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports...

In that case, I agree with you. It's always good to learn the "route path" in Explorer or any application first, and then learn the shortcuts if desired. That is something I encourage too, because it helps the user to become more aware of the program's organization rather than just know the shortcuts. It's like a cell phone. No one knows the numbers anymore, because they're all programmed. Haha.

A man gets busted.

Cop: "You get one phone call."

Man: "..............Well it looks like I'm screwed."

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Also, with regard to AD's Crash folder location I couldn't retain in my mind, without retyping it several times, the command %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports...

Me too neither! :D I would just go to %AppData% (or perhaps %AppData%\Affinity) and then drill down from there.

As for reaching AppData instead of AppData\Roaming, after using the system environment variable %AppData% to go to the latter you can simply go up a folder.

Alfred spacer.png

Hope im posting this in the right place :)

Firstly i haven't used Designer that much yet, but i greatly enjoy it so far.

I would like an option to increase the visibility of the corner tool ui. I have no trouble hitting the red ring with my mouse but i would like it to be bigger or make it easier to see in some other way.

Thanks!

I'm a little bit confused. When I draw a shape (e.g. rectangle) with filling and border and I reduce opacity of this layer only the filling opacity is reduced - not the border opacity of this object. Is it a bug or a feature? From my perspective this behaviour does not make sense ...

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I'm a little bit confused. When I draw a shape (e.g. rectangle) with filling and border and I reduce opacity of this layer only the filling opacity is reduced - not the border opacity of this object. Is it a bug or a feature? From my perspective this behaviour does not make sense ...

The Fill and the border can each have their own opacity. Just select the Line in the colour tab or the Opacity's context toolbar and adjust the opacity for it. It may be useful to have a feature that locks both fill and line so that the opacity can be adjusted for both simultaneously.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

Hello,

The persona shortcuts are barely working in this beta for me.

alt+P works in draw persona

alt+E works in pixel persona

Other options don't work. Pressing alt+E in draw persona opens the toolbar menu. Switching personas with the buttons works fine.

Reported for an earlier beta, don't know if it's logged: Applying layer fx disables blend ranges.

• Staff

Hello,

The persona shortcuts are barely working in this beta for me.

alt+P works in draw persona

alt+E works in pixel persona

Other options don't work. Pressing alt+E in draw persona opens the toolbar menu. Switching personas with the buttons works fine.

Reported for an earlier beta, don't know if it's logged: Applying layer fx disables blend ranges.

Hi biscuit,

The shortcuts no longer work because we have removed due to them clashing. They will be removed from the Mac version as well. You can  however set them up again if you wish from Preferences > Shortcuts.

The Fill and the border can each have their own opacity. Just select the Line in the colour tab or the Opacity's context toolbar and adjust the opacity for it. It may be useful to have a feature that locks both fill and line so that the opacity can be adjusted for both simultaneously.

If you want the same opacity for the fill and the line, use the Transparency Tool. A linear gradient transparency with both ends of the 'gradient' set to the same value will produce the desired result. :)

Alfred spacer.png

If you want the same opacity for the fill and the line, use the Transparency Tool. A linear gradient transparency with both ends of the 'gradient' set to the same value will produce the desired result. :)

Or just adjust the opacity in the Layers panel and not Colour panel. The Colour panel will change the fill and stroke separately, but the Layers will change them both together.

To be honest: I thought the times are over where my data is stuck in our application

version - let's do it better as Microsoft did it in the past, can't we?

We did consider it, but it's hard to anticipate what future versions might need to do. In practice we would probably have to update the old program anyway - 1.4.2 wouldn't load 1.5 files, but we could have a 1.4.3 that did. However, that would usually be pointless given the upgrade from 1.4.2 to 1.5 is free, so you might as well just use 1.5 itself. We plan to release upgrades simultaneously across all supported platforms, so it should be fine.

As Jon P says, if you are using the 1.5 beta on Windows then you can use the 1.5 beta on Mac, too. The issue here is not Mac versus Windows, but beta versus released.

Hey Mark,

There's no pressure, but are you having any luck in finding the reason for the unhandled extension? It stinks not being able to use the program for so long.

This page might be related to it, but I don't understand how to do the first step in the instructions. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/815117

Progress in development is amazing, using it since the first beta and this happens since from the beginning.

Scrolling through Pantone colors in Swatches panel lags heavily. And after clicking any colors it just reverts back to Document from dropdown list with the color chosen from the panel. Is that how it supposed to be or is it a bug?

I use it Swatches panel very often to choose colors and it makes it very hard to work with. Also some icons blurry (hamburger, cog, lock for example.)

Looking forward to future releases.

Hi. Incredible list of solved issues! And I'm happy to see that you finally addressed the Symbols & Booleans issue I was referring here some revisions ago since everything regarding that seems to behave as expected now. Well thank you very much! I'm definitely in love with both (terrific) features and it's great to see them work well together at last  :D  ...Greetings and thanks again!

System: CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo T7700 @ 2.40GHz || RAM: 4 GB (DDR2-SDRAM) || GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB) || HDD: TOSHIBA (500 GB, 8 MB) || OS: Windows 10 Pro (x64) || OTHER: MSI Laptop - 17" (1920 x 1200 px)

Well, I do understand, that border and filling obviously have their own degree of opacity. My point is, since the object and therfor both attributes are based on the same layer and I change the layer(!) opacity consequently both attributes have to change opacity as well ... So of course I can change opacity seperately (what is good an required) both these settings should logically be affected by the layer opacity at the same time.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Well, I do understand, that border and filling obviously have their own degree of opacity. My point is, since the object and therfor both attributes are based on the same layer and I change the layer(!) opacity consequently both attributes have to change opacity as well ... So of course I can change opacity seperately (what is good an required) both these settings should logically be affected by the layer opacity at the same time.

I edited my post, because I misread what you said. There can be different scales of opacities in one. It is the same deal if you changed the opacity of a layer, and then all of it's sublayers, and then all of its paths separately. It depends on how you select them. Be careful and take note how you change the opacity. Some options only adjust the layers, and some paths, fills, strokes, etc. In Illustrator, I would use several effects, but then I couldn't find where they were. I realized later, I applied them when I selected a single path. That's why they wouldn't show up when I selected a group of paths.

Edited by bleduc