You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.17 (Windows)

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability

Requirements: None

As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4, which means files created with the Windows beta cannot be opened in the Mac AppStore version of Designer, instead you will need the latest macOS beta.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed floating windows being created too wide
  • Fixed Asset search to update live
  • Fixed being unable to apply swatches when they are displayed as list
  • Fixed being unable to delete objects in the Layers panel when the Zoom Tool is selected
  • Fixed numerical quick key opacity settings not working with Czech keyboard
  • Fixed Text Styles creating a style based on another does not automatically select style in based on
  • Fixed being able to nest Symbol objects inside themselves
  • Fixed Layer thumbnails being slow to refresh
  • Fixed contractions being displayed as spelling errors
  • Added restart drag via spacebar
  • Fixed scroll problems on non-Windows 10 OSes
  • Fixed crash writing text style sheet when exporting RTF
  • Fixed Text Frame resizing with the extra handle so it now constrains proportions consistently
  • Fixed Artistic Text Tool by mostly reverting click-to-create back to 1.4.2 behaviour (that is, a click creates new text unless you already have a text caret or are over existing text, and CTRL+Click which will always select)
  • Fixed Pixel Selection modes displaying incorrectly when switching between marquee tools
  • Fixed Character panel sections only collapsing when clicking the arrow
  • Fixed default width of Character panel clipping Font Style combo box
  • Added Font Style combos to character/paragraph panels
  • Fixed no right-click menu on palette List View
  • Fixed 'Show as List' being incorrectly called 'List' on Windows
  • Fixed Apply Style to Selection not working
  • Fixed pressing Escape when a text control has focus closing the dialog
  • Fixed Text Style name not automatically highlighted when editing/creating a new style
  • Fixed Angle Control text box having opaque background
  • Fixed Grid and Axis Manager subdivision lines colour incorrectly mirrors Grid lines
  • Fixed Brush Editor not dynamically updating the title bar depending on the user action
  • Fixed Brush Editor's 'Base Texture' scale only going up to 100%
  • Fixed being unable to select negative ramp values with the mouse wheel
  • Fixed Text Styles and Character tabs report different values
  • Fixed crash when doing a Ctrl Run up with no AppData folder present
  • Fixed typing a single letter in to help search crashes the app
  • Fixed being unable to apply the same recent swatch to both Stroke and Fill
  • Fixed precision scrolling in input only going between 1.7 and 0.7
  • Fixed Brush's head/tail lines being blue instead of red
  • Fixed Stroke panel allowing negative numbers
  • Fixed marching ants extending past the spread
  • Fixed being able to enter negative values for smooth and feather in refine selection
  • Fixed Import Text Styles not being disabled when no document is open
  • Fixed Text Styles on context toolbar not updating when styles are deleted or changed
  • Fixed CTRL start not resetting text styles
  • Fixed Text Styles with long names breaking the text styles panel
  • Fixed Text Styles panel can be resized too small
  • Fixed Text Styles keyboard shortcut warning symbol remains after shortcut removed
  • Fixed being unable to re-apply character options to selected text
  • Fixed dragging text onto Layers panel causing shortcuts to stop working
  • Fixed creating a new layer using the Layers panel creating it outside the Artboard Layer
  • Fixed Text Styles having no tick to indicate they are currently applied
  • Fixed crashes when deleting objects during mouse operations
  • Fixed Symbols created from content within symbols  
  • Fixed moving Symbols within Symbols
  • Fixed Corner Tool missing corner and radius labels from toolbar
  • Fixed right click menu in Text Styles not working until used in burger menu
  • Fixed Delete icon for Text Styles can contain blank spaces
  • Fixed being able to create a style called [No Style]
  • Fixed Text Styles typography changes not being reflected in dropdowns
  • Fixed Opacity/Noise button on Colour Panel not displaying ToolTip
  • Fixed controller for brush stroke reverting to pressure when adjusting sliders
  • Fixed line break hidden characters being printed
  • Fixed Reset Brushes not working
  • Fixed Canon Printer - Pixma MG5750 - Crash after altering printer properties
  • Fixed linear gradients not exporting to SVG correctly
  • Fixed Tighten/Loosen More shortcuts conflicting with Rotate Desktop on onboard graphic chips
  • Fixed Export Workspace shortcut clashing with Edit menu (shortcuts for workspaces have been removed)
  • Fixed being unable to select font after typing name
  • Fixed Refine Selection Adjustment Brush Width values showing a decimal place
  • Fixed 16bit PSDs not importing correctly
  • Fixed guides on artboards when you enter a guide position in the GuidesManager
  • Fixed app crashing when selecting brush after switching to assorted with brush options dialog open
  • Fixed Brushes Accumulation Jitter Dynamics setting missing
  • Fixed Unknown language text is being shown as incorrectly spelled
  • Fixed Help browser window misplaced in frame
  • Added ToolTip delay to Preferences
  • Changed Missing Font dialog to a toast message (to match macOS version)
  • Fixed Colour Picker window getting stuck on
  • Copy spread guides across to a newly-created artboard if it’s the first artboard, and adjust them to be in the correct position
  • Fixed Ungroup All to not ungroup symbols along the way

Oh man I still can't use it. i'm still getting that dialogue of an Unhandled Extension on the launch.

Edit:

Is it actually possible to download and install a previous version until this issue is fixed? I picked up on something strange. I tried installing version 1.5.0.12, but when I launched the program and faced the usual problem, the loading screen said this version.

Edited by bleduc

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Oh man I still can't use it. i'm still getting that dialogue of an Unhandled Extension on the launch.

Edit:

Is it actually possible to download and install a previous version until this issue is fixed? I picked up on something strange. I tried installing version 1.5.0.12, but when I launched the program and faced the usual problem, the loading screen said this version.

Can you upload a crash report to this forum thread?

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\

Can you upload a crash report to this forum thread?

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\

I attached the most recent one. I hope you can figure out what's wrong. And thank you for your support.

Also, the edited information in my other post, why might that be? (Using the download link of an earlier version installs the latest version)

ec5669e4-6129-45e4-9a9e-509c6091e846.dmp

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hello,

is there really no way to downgrade a Affinity Designer 1.5 file to a 1.4 file?

Like export or something similair?

The point is this: I desperately try to move my graphics stuff from my Mac to Windows.

Not because I like Windows better but simply because our company has Windows

workstations. Best would be: I can create my stuff on any supported platform

and move it around.

I would like to do some kind of reality test with the Designer Beta for Windows:

creating new graphics with the Windows Beta and switch to Mac if the Beta

is not so rock solid.

But from what I read in the forum I am trapped! Once I have created a graphic with

the Beta release I need to use this version forever - what? I do not have the time to

test the Beta on a jocke base - I try to do all the things I usually do with my released

version. But I don't want to loose this stuff afterwards!

To be honest: I thought the times are over where my data is stuck in our application

version - let's do it better as Microsoft did it in the past, can't we?

Regards,

Stefan

• Staff

@sperl42 - There is no way to downupgrade a 1.5 to 1.4 file at the moment, simply because a 1.5 file could contained saved features that 1.4 won't understand, so it would be very dangerous to let 1.4 open a 1.5 file. You can move files between the Mac and Windows versions if you use the 1.5 beta on the Mac.

@Minh - The installer removes the latest version for you before installing the new one, so you will be fine just running the installer. If you uninstalled it yourself first you would just be saving the installer some work :P

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Almost done with AdoBLOW subscriptions once and for all!

That's a good nickname for them. Now we just need a company to compete with Microsoft Office.

@Arun/Adam,

One can use Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) and transparency isn't affected. This is the type Press Ready uses. I am using PP X9 for the test as I haven't reinstalled DP since replacing the hard drive. 

I'll contact Corel about the issue as well.

Mike

LibreOffice is about as good as it gets as a competitor to MS Office. And it's OpenSource, multiplatform.

True, though I do wish they'd update their interface to resemble the Microsoft ribbon or something. I do love how they carry all those spacing options though like in InDesign.

I just wanted to say: "thank you!"

You guys have been doing a fantastic job with bringing new betas each week.

Thanks to Affinity I finally don't have to jump between a pixel editor like Photoshop and a vector program like Illustrator a hundret times just to make a simple business card, not to mention more complex web projects with multiple sites.

And the best of all, your UI!

It's laid out so logical that I got familiar with it in less than 30min.

To stick at least a little bit with the topic I want to mention that I had a crash on my Win1IRedstone system while manipulating global colors.

I could not reproduce this error a second time.

Hi, I can't use my Wacom tablet with this latest update! Everytime I click a button or use the pen, the program crashes. Attached an example of one of the crash reports. Strange as I finally was able to use my tablet in the last beta version.

Windows 10 (Asus notebook)

Wacom intuos

Hi, just wanted to report a minor issue with 1.5.17 (on Windows 10), don't know if was present in previous versions.

When moving/dragging around curves using the node tool that curve will jump/glitch just for a fraction of time. Seems like is not affecting the positioning of curves, it's just a visual "annoyance".

Sorry, here's the crash report

Your screenshot of the crash reporter dialog is huge and distorted, obviously having been taken by pointing a digital camera at your computer screen. You might like to make friends with the Snipping Tool (available in all Windows versions since Vista) which will give you smaller and clearer screenshots. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)