Sign in to follow this  
evocarti

Pathfinder Tools Issues, Memory Drain

The Pathfinder equivalent tool found in Affinity Designer needs some work.  I tend to create logos by overlapping shapes, using the divide tool, deleting the excess then recombining them to get rid of the lines.  This works perfectly in Illustrator, however when trying the same method in Affinity Designer, I'm left with stray points and lines, it's essentially just combining the shapes like a group instead of merging.  The space in between is to minuscule to be shifted manually.

I don't know if it has something to do with you 1,000,000x Zoom, but the tool should somehow be reworked to allow the combination of cut shapes where the edges seemingly touch.  Precision is great, but this is too much a distance a line thickness away shouldn't count.  Even better give the option to toggle in on an off like you do magnetic tool.

post-13674-0-28232300-1473287945_thumb.png

I'm currently using 1.42 and there seems to be a Memory leak issue when using the Pathfinder tools.  If I highlight a bunch of objects to join, the program will hang, and the memory will slowly dwindle until most of my computer freezing causing me to force quit. 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

post-13674-0-56464000-1473288057_thumb.png

post-13674-0-19790800-1473288099_thumb.png

Hi evocarti, jarcon,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Those hairlines/seams are a known issue that have to do with how the rasterization routine works. Please see this reply from MattP (one of the developers) for more details.

@evocarti

Regarding joining/adding several objects please update to the latest Affinity Designer version (1.6.1) as this was improved some time ago.