You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Can I Export a PDF at 800 DPI without it going back to 600 DPI when I open it again?

Hi ya'll,

I'm trying to send a large PDF roll-up banner to the printer and the requirement of the file is at least 800 DPI, but when I export it as PDF at 800 DPI and I open it back up in Affinity to review if it saved - it only gets saved at 600 DPI, so the printer keeps rejecting it. Is there a way I can save my PDF at 800 DPI and have it stay that way?

Thanks,

Marc

Thank you MikeW. I got it to work - somehow! :) The printer accepted it, but I still don't understand why it was doing that. The size of the banner was 39in_3.3ft x 6.6ft and was designed at 300 DPI and scaled up to 800 DPI, but whenever I export it as a PDF at 800 DPI, when I open the PDF it's only 600 DPI - any ideas why this was happening?

No worries, Marc--I love problems...

How were you checking the dpi of the PDF? I don't really understand why one would (or can without degradation) scale a 300 dpi design upwards to 800 dpi. Do you mean the AD document was itself using 300 dpi and the PDF export was using 800 dpi?

Is the 3.3' x 6.6' design at 100% size or was it itself a scaled version? In other words, was the finished printed size of the banner 3.3' x 6.6' and was the AD file itself made at that size?

Without the file, I (or anyone else) really cannot say what/why what was occurring was happening.

Mike

DPI = Dots Per Inch. Inkjet printers generally expect data at around 300dpi which is "dithered" and printed at the native resolution of the device. There is an exception: bitmap uses (i.e. pure black and white, no greys) often desire the image to be sized to match the exact resolution of the imaging device. But that is usually like 2400dpi or more.

M