You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

retrograde

Hey all, here's a redo experiment of an illustration project I had a few years ago for an article about how "Successful People" manage their thoughts... 

The goal here was to revisit this illustration and try to only create it using a "pixel painting inside vector shapes" workflow in Designer for a new look. I'm really happy with the process and the outcome and plan to adopt it to a few more ideas I have on the drawing board.

Trying to keep the process as simple as possible, I used only one brush for consistency and didn't employ any effects or multiply/screen layers for shading or highlighting. It's all painting. It was a lot of fun and surprisingly pretty quick. 

I like the background, but I also like it without....

Hope you like.

Cheers,

Kevin

post-305-0-44733600-1473193816_thumb.png

post-305-0-05780400-1473193830_thumb.png

post-305-0-45657900-1473193845_thumb.png

post-305-0-58731500-1473193859_thumb.png

post-305-0-45298800-1473193882_thumb.png

Thanks MEB!

I am using a small 5x3 wacom graphire tablet with pen, I keep my brush opacity set usually between 30 and 50%, and use pressure to vary the strength, I used only the DAUB oil pastel brush from Paolo's Pigmento series, no blenders, no transparency, basically it's as if I was really using an oil pastel and laying down the colour. Old school meets new school sort of thing ;-).

I wanted to find a process or system that I can rely on and not have to "think" too much about, but will allow for any sort of expression I need. The goal is to end up focusing on the art and the concept and not so much the technique.

I'll know really if it's a success once I do a few more images. :-)

• Staff

I know what you mean... there's a different connection when you can see/have immediate feedback while you paint/draw without any other workflow concerns. I used to draw when i was younger and i can relate to that feeling, unfortunately i haven't explored my Wacom that much yet. Still have to find some time...

I'll know really if it's a success once I do a few more images. :-)

I don't think you have to worry to much about that!   :)

Thanks MEB, 

I encourage you to pick up that pen and give it a go!! The thing that's funny is my Wacom tablet is a tiny little thing but the smaller it is the less ground you need to cover when using it. I'm looking forward to do more of this kind of stuff...  :D

Yes, I'd go w. the one w. background also. 

The speed and responsiveness of AD and the new tablet I got are really impressive. Not quite real time, and I find that picking colors is a little slower than mixing and using paint. Or maybe it is my "wetware" that is slowing down.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks guys, yeah I like the background as well, it sort of finishes it up in a nice little containing shape.

Picking colours while painting with the option key works well for me... and the ability to rotate the document really shines in this workflow.

Picking colours while painting with the option key works well for me... 

Option key. Whoopee!. Another feature I hadn't picked up on yet. Thx.

If the colors are already on the page, just pick it up. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that looks great retrograde! I really dig your style.

Picking colours while painting with the option key works well for me... and the ability to rotate the document really shines in this workflow.

And I even learned two new things here. :O

About the color picker: There should really be an indicator (like that the cursor will change to a picker), because first I thought that option/alt doesn't anything for me.

And about rotating: is there a shortcut or key-mouse-combination for rotating the canvas?

Hi and thanks JokeRat, I setup 'r' for rotate right and 'l' for rotate left.  ;)

You can set up your own keyboard shortcuts for a lot of common tools and menu items in preferences > keyboard shortcuts. Just select the dropdown of the persona section you need and find the tool or menu item.

To make sure it works in both draw and pixel persona you'll need to add those short cuts to both personas. They're in the "View" section.