You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I have been working on a shape, adding and subtracting various shapes to it, and suddenly now when I want to subtract another rectangle from it, the rectabgle and the shape just disappear. I can't carry out any operations like that on this particular shape any more. What could be causing this please? Both objects are solid fills with no stroke. I have attached the file. I would like to subtract the grey rectangle from the beige object.

logo.afdesign

• Staff

Hi rudegoose,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of a few issues with boolean operations. This is a bug with the software which is already logged to be looked at.

I've added you file to our log to be tested against new code. Meanwhile i'm looking into it to see if there's a way to work around this.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

[EDIT] The issue is with an extra node floating over the top edge of the window (middle). Deleting it (or any node on the shape for that matter) will remove it and process the boolean operation as expected.

Quick answer.

In node mode, select the points defining the square window in building shape. Delete them. Then Select the bar and the building and subtract. Redraw the window, and subtract that.  Works for me.

I've never quite understood the logic behind the construction of vector objects w. hollows in them, but breaking them apart very often causes strange results. Better to have outlines, and then punch holes in them than have outlines w. holes, and try to break them apart.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The problem is that there is an extra start/end point (red square node) from the previous Subtraction in the window. I'm sure the Devs will find it, but might as well pass that along with the file.

post-12544-0-70873600-1473194356_thumb.png

Delete that one point and everything will work.

Actually it's just easier to select both points in the middle there and delete rather than moving one to reveal the single point, and then moving the first back again.