You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to just select a vertex?

I can't believe this seems so hard...I have two separate lines that meet at a vertex. I want to marquee select the area where they meet, then drag them to a new position.

I read this:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/596-node-tool/

I still don't have the ability to marquee select anything. I have tried selecting entire objects first, then switching to the node tool and dragging a new selection. No success.

I'm used to Illustrator where I can just select the points I want and drag.

• Staff

Hi finedesign,

Are the lines vertical or horizontal? There a few issues selecting nodes from vertical/horizontal lines. If that's the case ⇧ (shift)-click each node with the Node Tool to select them.

If not can you post a screenshot with the layers panel visible so i can see what's going on?

Thanks.

• Staff

Thanks for the screenshot. You must have both objects selected to be able to select nodes from them simultaneously. So ⇧ (shift)-click both lines on canvas with the Node tool to select them first (both objects should become highlighted in the Layers panel) then drag a marquee around the nodes you want to select.

Would it not be simpler if you could select direct nodes with node tool marquee without prior selection? Seems to me unnecessary step (and this is request for feature :-)

There could be nodes from many different objects inside a marquee, including ones in lots of objects you don't want to be part of the selection. The requirement to pre-select only the objects whose nodes you want to be included avoids selecting ones in those you don't.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There could be nodes from many different objects inside a marquee, including ones in lots of objects you don't want to be part of the selection. The requirement to pre-select only the objects whose nodes you want to be included avoids selecting ones in those you don't.

I guess that is a matter of taste. If selection area is very dense you could still activate nodes by shift clicking, or deselect unwanted by shift-clicking. Usually this is not a problem when zoomed close enough and simple marquee selection would be faster.

With few exceptions, my AD documents are complex enough that it would be very tedious (& often confusing) to have to deselect unwanted nodes in objects I do not want to modify, nor would zooming in first allow me to enclose all the nodes of just the objects that I do want to modify in a single marquee selection.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7