You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG export - keep layer names

Hi, 

I'm working on animating a svg graphic designed in AD. When i get the code, i need to organize it better for easier use.

Would it be possible that the group/layer/object names remain as classes in the outputed code?

When selecting the SVG export option, there could be a checkbox where you can select what names to keep, for instance, maybe you want only the groups ( <g> tag in the code ) to retain the names, and objects, paths etc, not to have the names..

This would, cant stress this enough, save a lot of time! :)

Thanks,

B.

web & graphic designer :: front-end web developer :: illustrator

www.dribbble.com/bbwebdiz

• Staff

Incidentally, the Mac App Store version is due to be updated tomorrow morning and will essentially be the same as the current beta version... so if you can wait until tomorrow, you'll have this as an available update if you check the App Store :)

niiice! thanks :) I'll survive until tomorrow.. tested it out in beta now though.. works great.. 

the only problem i had with naming was that i named everything with spaces :D so the outputed id looks like this id="something something", so from now on, i'm naming everything "something-something" to avoid code problems..

--

Other issues i'm having right now.. just to report it, maybe you know it already :)

when i would draw a rectangle for instance, making it have 2pt stroke.. then, if i'd resize it along its x axis horizontally, transforming it, in AD the rectangles stroke would be just fine, but when you export it to svg, the vertical lines would be thicker than the horizontal lines :)

The image attached is the outputed svg graphic.  Do you maybe know how to avoid this?

For now, I'm just redrawing every shape i transformed, and fixing the problem!

--

other than that:

- everything that has opacity, gets rasterized.. i'm guessing that svg can't support opacity :/

- and, my biggest headache is the "rect" element in the code.. argh :) I'm working with animating the path elements, this can't be done with any other element, thats why i need to break every rectangle from a closed path to a opened one.. creating a mini gap at one corner, at around a bazillion % zoom :) hah.. fixed the problem though..  can a rectangle be converted to curves, but remain a path in the exported code? 

Thanks for the quick responses guys..

B.

post-509-0-30090800-1415026290_thumb.png

post-509-0-53672600-1415026879_thumb.png

• Staff

Hah! We've tried to make sure that rectangular curves are explicitly output as rectangles - which sounds like it's exactly what you don't want :S  I think we might have to eventually add an option for this - I can't think of any way around it right now, I'm afraid...

:D no biggy... :)

Illustrator has something where you convert a rectangle or some other kind of path (didn't go that deep into this sry) to a compound path using cmd+8 .. and, that seemed to do the trick.. but its way to hard on my 2009 mac to open illustrator up and work with him :/ glory to AD for its lightness! 

As for the line thickness bug (or not), basically, if you transform any path shape etc, with the move tool, that happens.. BUT when i move the nodes of a path with the node tool, everything stays uniform as it should be o.O

maybe it has something to do with "scale  with object" in the stroke settings.. just guessing..

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.. i really appreciate it!

Thanks,

B.