You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wristwatch

G-F-H

Does anyone know if there's an easy way to click (choose) on a lower layer without using the layers panel or click-dragging box off canvas? I find I have to lock or group layers endlessly and then unlock ungroup. 

Also, is there a way to click or select an a locked object without using the layers panel?

Cheers

post-33981-0-01745000-1473046690_thumb.jpg

post-33981-0-01745000-1473046690_thumb.jpg

• Staff

You can't select a locked object on the canvas - you have to use the Layers panel (this was deliberate so I don't believe there are any ways around it). The only exception is if it's the very first layer in the document and it's a locked pixel layer (because if you 'Open' a jpg (for example) then it opens as a locked layer and it's really annoying that you can't click it to edit it!!!)

If you hold Alt/Option you will start your mouse click hit-test underneath the currently selected object. If you hold Cmd you will allow clicks inside all containers. You can use these two modifiers at the same time if it helps. If things get really, really bad, just hit Cmd+Y to go to Outline mode and then you can click on any line and it will select it directly (it performs a different kind of hit-test that only looks at whether you clicked the line or not, so can be used to easily select deeply nested or obscured objects).

Hope that helps (and great work!)

Matt

You can't select a locked object on the canvas - you have to use the Layers panel (this was deliberate so I don't believe there are any ways around it).

From previous discussions of this issue, Matt, I know I'm not the only one who thinks this wasn't a good decision! It would be better if locking only prevented the object from being transformed, so that you could still select it on the page to unlock it again. A useful side effect is that you could then implement an 'align to locked object' feature.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)