You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Polygon is Pentagon tool?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to make a true "polygon" shape to overlay on a photo. I tried the polygon tool, but it seems to only actually make pentagons where the lines can be made concave or convex, but where I can't seem to make an original shape. Alternatively, if there is anything similar to photoshop's polygonal lasso tool where I can create a shape with a selection tool. I noticed that the program has a tool similar to photoshop's lasso tool with the free hand selection tool, but I would like to get straight lines while I am selecting the area of choice.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, NLindsay. :)

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to make a true "polygon" shape to overlay on a photo. I tried the polygon tool, but it seems to only actually make pentagons where the lines can be made concave or convex, but where I can't seem to make an original shape.

You aren't limited to pentagons! You can vary the number of sides via the control on the Context toolbar.

Alternatively, if there is anything similar to photoshop's polygonal lasso tool where I can create a shape with a selection tool. I noticed that the program has a tool similar to photoshop's lasso tool with the free hand selection tool, but I would like to get straight lines while I am selecting the area of choice.

For a selection made up of straight line segments, choose the Free-hand Selection ('Lasso') Tool, hold down the Shift key and click at the points where you want the vertices of the polygon to be.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm unfamiliar w. AP, but in AD, there are several ways to do this. Any of the built in geometric shapes can be "converted to curves." The generated shape becomes a Bezier curve than can be edited with the node tool. Also, the pen tool can be used to freehand draw a shape, clicking at desired points to make straight lines, rather like Photoshops geometric lasso. The resulting vector shape can be used as a mask for the photo/bit map image.

At present, there isn't anything like Photoshops magnetic lasso, tho' pixel selection to vector is in the works.

For what its worth, as a new user, I've found there are almost 500 shape variations that can be derived from the various built in shapes. This is before they are sheared, added, subtracted, divided, converted to curves, etc. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get any clean edged shape you like.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet