You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 11/5/2022 at 6:03 PM, YoBa said:

you have to have this. 
this is really bad, I switched to Affinity after many years of illustrator and I cant believe this feature doesnt exist. this is an essential feature for how I create logo type.

is this going to happen or are we doomed to Adobe?

Yes, there will never be a replacement for Illustrator. Affinty programs are rather toys, not suitable for work, too many bugs, too many missing essential features, not even tracing. (even inkscape has it and it's free)

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, bluearch said:

Does anyone know how we can edit the actual nib shape, rather than just change what the nib does?

I think you might have to create a new brush, using a new image as the source. Or, at a minimum, edit the brush, add a new image, and possibly remove the old one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 1 month later...

Hello,

im a newbie in designer, but maybe I've found a possibilty for calligraphy brush.

i started with creating a new round brush and applied these settings first (1-round brush.png)

Then I assigned the distance setting to 1% (2-round brush.png)

for my first test it works, and I have to check the other settings

best regards

Guenter

1-round brush.png

2-round brush.png

3-round brush.png

• 3 months later...

@ Guenterm yes this would be great if it was ‘Vector’ but is not vector it is ‘Pixel’

The ‘Affinity’ you have hand written above with a ‘Pixel’ pen would have taken you 20-30 second

Now I challenge you to replicate it exactly in affinity designer as a ‘Vector’ to get the genuine hand drawn look could take you hours. In Adobe Illustrator it takes seconds to do.

Be careful how you spend your time learning if you want to do efficient vector calligraphy then at the present time 'Affinity Designer' ranks on the bottom of the list from all the vector graphic suites including the “free” options.

Don’t get me wrong I love 'Affinity Suite' for everything else I really like the work flow of both personas in one place.  

Affinity -Please- it has been ‘Nine Years’

That’s right 9 years ago that this has been requested.

For me it is the ‘Elephant in the Room’ for Affinity.

I have spent 1000’s of hours designing art work this is crippling me. I cannot do the artwork in pixel it needs to be vector.

At the very least can you create a ‘Blob’ brush with calligraphy pen options. I believe this would be a more efficient use of computing power as it would auto expand and join together resulting in less individual curve layers. 

The crazy part is calligraphy is only about 5% of my design work yet I use the calligraphy pen for 95% of all my design work even my finished work, 5% is adjusting vector points - I have found this to be super-fast time efficient work flow.

10 times faster than the current affinity designer vector workflow.

The difference is like wearing gloves and using crayons to do my line artwork in affinity.

Yes! I have spent 100's of hours in affinity trying to replicate the work flow and No! it can’t be done 'efficiently' in Affinity’s current state 2.1

Again, Affinity is awesome in every other way.

Help me kick from my dependence on the adobe calligraphy brush and blob brush. 

Then I can kick 'Adobe' to the curb. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Jarad O said:

Please for the love of your poor customers who have been waiting for 9 years for this feature!

Hi, Jarad & welcome to the forums.

Just FYI, the best place for your comment is in the Feedback & Suggestions forum -- that's where the developers look, not here in the Questions forum.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 months later...