You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to look for an angled/tilted brush for hand writing with my pen tablet. I know it sounds extremely simple – it's one of the default brushes on Adobe Illustrator – but I can't seem to find it on Affinity Designer.

Everything is rounded... Some taper off a the ends. But none are actually angled. Please help!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Illustrator Artistic Calligraphic brushes look like this...
2068577025_ScreenShot2020-03-21at22_35_25.png.0d9ba62f300e7a0345df13f1906e4a94.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are we "in the future" yet? 🤔

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, any update on this? The thread was posted in 2016, no change after 4 years? :)

marekmati.com

[MAC OS 12.2, MacBook Pro  2017, 15-inch, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon Pro 560, Intel HD Graphics 630, 500GB SSD + Philips Monitor 4K/60fps 10bit color via DisplayPort to USB-C cable]

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 1:17 AM, Sumit Gupta said:

I think we need a guide for how to make a calligraphic brush in Affinity Designer, that should give us a start. Anyone?

Hey Sumit Gupta,

that's the problem: it's just not possible to create a vector-based calligraphy tip that behaves exactly as if you were drawing with a quill.
If I'm talking about calligraphy I understand it as a flat tip drawn at a fixed angle, as opposed to drawing with a brush tip that changes in width and angle.

Illustrator has had a solution for this for a long time, where you can define the fixed angle of the tip.

I just found this site while searching for a visual representation like this:

xlaws-of-nib1b.png.39eb600363645f1a9477c843d9bcf83a.png

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

2 hours ago, MrDoodlezz said:

Illustrator has had a solution for this for a long time, where you can define the fixed angle of the tip.

Serif’s very own DrawPlus offers calligraphic line styles. I’d love to see this added to Affinity Designer sooner rather than later.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely needed … there are brushes in Designer that confusingly give the impression they are calligraphic by their previews, but the variation in width is actually based on pressure using a pen/tablet … vector lines whose width changes based on a consistent angle would be much more precise, and useful!

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote here! Ability to do calligraphic vector lines (and proper free warping of vector shapes) would be the last piece of the puzzle for me to bin off illustrator all together for comics lettering on the iPad in designer. 

• 4 weeks later...