You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Under Resize Canvas, if I Center the Anchor, Unlock the Width and Height fields, then click on Width and enter “+100” and hit Return then do the same for Height, what I get is 100 pixels added to both dimensions.

However, if I do Not Unlock the Width and Height fields and only enter “+100” in the Width field and hit Return, what I get is 100 pixels added to the Width and approximately 2/3 of that added to the Height.  

I get the same results if I click on the Width field and manually add 100 pixels to the amount already there.

What am I not understanding about this process?

• Staff

Hi LilleG,

If you unlock the fields Affinity will only add the amount you specified to a particular field (or to both simultaneously if you change both fields) without any relation between them.

If you lock the padlock and change just one of of the fields Affinity will calculate the amount needed for the other to keep the same proportions/ratio. So unless you have a square document (the only case where adding a X px amount to the width will also add the same amount to the height), when you add 100px to the width field the height will change accordingly to keep the same aspect/ratio of the original document size.

Thank you for the explanation.  It doesn't make the resize any easier to do but it does ease the frustration.  Trying to resize the canvas to add a border is the only time that I seriously miss Photoshop.

Click to position the anchor

Click to select Relative

Enter the desired amount...once

Click on Return

Vs

Click to position the anchor

Click on Lock to unlink

Click on Width

Enter Desired amount

Click on Return

Click on Height

Enter Desired Amount

Click on Return

Click on Resize

The only real complaint I ever have about Affinity is how many steps they require for so many of the functions.  I realize that their method gives you a lot of input expressions but it would be nice to have some simpler options when quick and easy is all you need.

LillyG,

It isn't obvious but the Tab key works to jump between text fields in the Resize dialog, as well as some other places with multiple text fields.

So for example, after you click on the lock icon, hitting tab will select the width text entry box & you can start typing in it immediately, without having to click on it. Hit tab again & you will be in the height box & you can start typing there. When there are more than two text entry boxes, Shift+Tab reverses the order of selecting the boxes.

The UI is not very Mac-like in this respect. Tabbing into a field selects all of its contents, so it really should highlight the existing text to let you know that. Instead, there is just a hard to see outline around the text box in the system (?) highlight color.

Oddly, in AD's Document Setup > Dimensions panel, the width & height text boxes have the outline highlight indicator but the DPI one highlights the text value, as it should. In AP, the Resize Document panel uses the outline highlight for all three parameters.

Also, the Return key (for the OK equivalent) & the Escape key (for Cancel) work in some dialog boxes but not in others. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, R C-R.  I'll make a note of those tips and give them a try.  Anything to eliminate a step or two.  ;)   I've just started working my way through the Help manual.  I've just (involuntarily) moved from Mountain Lion to El Capitan and the Online Help was seriously flaky in Mountain Lion.  Read too slow or move the mouse just a bit and boom, it would close on you.  So...I didn't bother with it unless I really needed to research something.  I appreciate that everyone has been patient with all my questions that the manual should have answered (and maybe did?)

It isn't obvious but the Tab key works to jump between text fields in the Resize dialog, as well as some other places with multiple text fields.

So for example, after you click on the lock icon, hitting tab will select the width text entry box & you can start typing in it immediately, without having to click on it. Hit tab again & you will be in the height box & you can start typing there. When there are more than two text entry boxes, Shift+Tab reverses the order of selecting the boxes. 

You may not need all those presses of the Return key that LilleG listed, but the fact remains that adding (say) two inches all around a 10 by 8 inch canvas is more convoluted than it would be if there were a 'Relative' option in the Resize dialog.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)