You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export PDF to 100% black

I am trying to send a PDF document exported from Affinity Designer to the printer, but he keeps rejecting it because the black is rich an not C0 M0 Y0 K100. In the document it is correct. If I open the PDF in Affinity Photo, it is correct.

Can you imagine what is going on here? I am totally out of ideas, and reaching for the Buy button on Adobe CC.

Attached is one of the PDF exports I'm talking about.

bjorg-green.pdf

• Staff

I am trying to send a PDF document exported from Affinity Designer to the printer, but he keeps rejecting it because the black is rich an not C0 M0 Y0 K100. In the document it is correct. If I open the PDF in Affinity Photo, it is correct.

Can you imagine what is going on here? I am totally out of ideas, and reaching for the Buy button on Adobe CC.

Attached is one of the PDF exports I'm talking about.

The file looks fine to me. Text is 100% K so all good.

Yeah, I know. Everything looks good. But the printer still gets a mixed black. I have no explanation at hand. I would really appreciate knowing why this happens, and knowing how to fix it.

The only thing I know is I need this to work *right now*, and I know how to (and that doesn't involve AD).

Have you ever tested the printer to another PDF just print? Have you checked the settings on the printer? My printer prints out as you see it.

Rig:Board: GigaByte Z97X-Gaming 3 ,CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, GPU: GeForce GTX 970, RAM: 16 GB / 2 x Crucial BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24 5-39-12-6), Display: ACI VS248 24" 1920x1080, 60Hz, OS:Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, Main HDD: ADATA SP900 (256GB, SATA600, SSD), driver always up to date. :)

thorri, the only items in your file that are rich black are, properly, the registration color applied to the trim marks. You could ask them a few questions. But first, double check as to the output intent profile they desire--your file is using US Web Coated (SWOP) v.2. They why to double-check is point three below...

(1) Do they want trim marks? I get files in both with and without printer's marks (of whatever kind). They are technically not needed and, for some print establishments, not wanted. I don't care if they come with them as long as the "page boxes" are defined in the PDF.

(2) Are they opening the file in anything prior to sending it to the RIP, if so, what are they using?

(3) If they are opening this PDF in something in order to impose it in anything other than an imposition application, what is the output profile?

The reason for #3 is that any change of profile will cause the 100% K to become a rich black if they are not doing it very carefully.

What output profile is your Acrobat assuming?

The individual elements are tagged with US Web Coated (SWOP) v.2 and will only appear properly if Acrobat is set to that profile with AD-generated PDFs. There is no Document-level Output Intent and so Acrobat will not switch to using that profile automatically.

On modern RIPs, there is no need for a document output intent when each element is tagged. However, I find that many print establishments simply don't fix what to them is not broken. RIPs can be exceedingly expensive.

I think the onus is then on those print establishments to communicate what their press conditions are. Oft times, though, they don't communicate this well and the result is all too often this kind of profile-to-profile color conversion. One can switch profiles and preserve black in Acrobat, but they then need to care about the issue and need to know how to do this.

And print establishments need to stop using ID, AI, and QXP to impose jobs. I don't know if that is occurring here, but it too is oft times a source of this problem.

AD could be made to use a document profile. But in general I find how one goes about producing a PDF from AD (I am using the Windows beta) more or less burdensome and, as regards even accessing and using profiles, a near lesson in frustration. As well, the whole scrolling panel when on uses the 'More' button should be redesigned. Then again, I think the work-flow of export should be redesigned, too.

I admit to total ignorance in choosing the color profile, and the PDF version. The industry standard in Iceland for creating print-ready PDF's is well documented for Adobe products. In the standard, color profiles are not included in the documents.

Mac_heibu, do you expect this to be solved using PDF/X-3? I am willing to try (although I don't expect a reply from my printer until Monday morning).

thorri, do check with your particular print establishment.

I could only find one print establishment in Iceland that has either posted their requirements or provides InDesign/Acrobat .joboptions files. In looking inside the .joboptions file, the profile they desire is:

ISO Coated v2 300%

Which is very common everywhere but the US.

You are right! In this case, I think, the printer doesn’t work with Swop Coated, and converting to the profile he is using causes a CMYK to CMYK conversion (obviously without device link profile)  with the issues, discussed above.

The original poster should ask, which profiling system is used and modify his document accordingly.