You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multi-Artboard lag (Decreases graphics performance) (Updated)

• Staff

@Herojas93

I emailed you back a modified document.

We have two kinds of layers - Logical and Physical.  Logical layers are shown as either "Layers" or "Groups" in the Layers panel.  Everything else is a physical layer (one that contributes something to the image).

As a general rule - Always try to make outer physical objects the parent of anything contained by them on the spread.  This enables a more efficient bounds calculation because it only needs to work with the outer shape.

Text objects especially should be children of an outer physical layer where possible.  So, for example, if text sits in front of a rectangle, and the rectangle won't clip the text geometry - make that text a child of the rectangle.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Another tip - it's better to use "Groups" than "Layers" when creating symbols or assets as it enables you to select the entire symbol when clicking on spread. "Layers" click through, and so you will select one of the child layers, and not the whole layer.

In a UI prototyping situation, you'd want to be able to easily select the whole object and move/snap it.

"Layers" currently do not pass through for snapping bounding box calculations.  Anything in a "Layer" will currently not get added to snapping when using the "Immediate layers" option.  I'm in two minds as how this should work.  It's not really a bug, more a question of expectations.  I'm thinking that I might change it so they behave as "Groups" for the purpose of snapping.  Guess we'll have to see how this pans out when people use it.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

OK I'm seeing it.

Now I understand.

I was thinking just the oposite. The layers better than groups. I was thinking that layers can be understand as a block y AutoCad and group as a set of items (worst to select and modify).

Now I have clear the concept and I will update my designs. 

Many thanks for your time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.