You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I enter a hex color via keyboard without using sliders?

Hello Affinity Designer enthusiasts,

I'm using the 10 day demo copy of AD.Like many here, I would like to move away from Adobe Products since their marketing plan has moved in a direction that is software rental rather than ownership.  I've used Fireworks for years. One question that I haven't found an answer to yet that is related to my switching away from Fireworks is:

How can I enter a hex number for a color or even  rgb numbers instead of using only the sliders? I suspect there is a way, but I'm too new to AD to know it.

As an example: #CCCCCC instead of using the sliders to try to achieve the color.

​I use the number entry feature in FWs a lot.  Is it present in AD? Even if I could use RGB numbers, I'd do that. Whatever is available in AD.

Thank you for your help in pointing me to the right place in this software.

:) 

post-36157-0-42891900-1472770645_thumb.png

In the Colors panel or the Fill or Stroke context menu items for shapes, choose RGB Hex Sliders. In addition to the sliders are text entry fields for each of the three sliders plus one labeled "#" for setting all three at once. You can type hex values in each of those fields (no need for a "#" prefix).

Note that for 16 bit color each hex value will be four characters, or 12 for the combined value.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...

I'm using Affinity Designer 1.8.3 (from Mac App store), on macOS 10.15.5.

I'm trying to set the colour of an object using the Hex RGB panel (which I've done before successfully) but it now won't let me enter any number that contains the hexadecimal characters A through F. Every time I attempt to enter a hexadecimal character the input box goes red and won't accept the input.

I've attached a screen video demonstrating the problem in which I'm trying to set the value to '9e' or even '9E' to no avail.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,  S t u a r t .

2 hours ago, s5b said:

've attached a screen video demonstrating the problem in which I'm trying to set the value to '9e' or even '9E' to no avail.

There is a bug (acknowledged but still in AD beta 1.8.4.2) in that valid hex entry is highlighted in red, but valid hex is accepted and applied when you leave the field in which you've entered the hex.

• 1 month later...