You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1) Start with a sketch. Trying to draw with a vector app with no "guidance" is asking to waste time and get frustrated.

2) Don't be afraid of research. Google Images is your friend in this. Spheres break differently than flat planes of glass (duh!). Look at how the breaks follow the roundness of the sphere and try to capture that in your sketch.

3)"break" down the sphere into Foreground and Background. This will help you to put the right curves above/below others.

4) Don't be afraid of failure. Your first attempts will be crappy. And that's fine. Old saying that all artists have 10,000 crappy drawing inside. You've just gotten a few more out of the way. Congrats! Now try again.

5) Ignore advice when it doesn't feel right. It's your art and you do know best.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, disturbed 13

You could always buy one break it, photograph it, print it, trace it (on tracing paper), scan it, import into Affinity, and use the pixel or vector tools to taste.

It's a long process, but you'll learn loads and produce something unique. Just like a proper artist. Next stop, the Tate Modern.

Or you can have a look at these:

Broken-Snow-Globe-Sandy3012_LOW.jpg

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=borken+snow+globes&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=098D8028CB2304F3E0AEE20EA8D8967590C722D5&selectedIndex=119

2353494605_745482157a_z.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3146/2353494605_745482157a_z.jpg

Don't forget there's always Pinterest, Flikr, Deviant art, if you are suck for ideas for globes, they don't have to be snow scenes.

Although this is very Narnia...SAM_5834.JPG

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111