You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 12)

MattP,

Just a quick question. Something from the previous versions seems to have changed. I don't know if it is intentional or possibly a bug or maybe it is something I have selected in the preferences? Let's say that I have 4 layers and the bottom layer is locked. If I select the bottom layer and then go to "add layer" it puts the new layer at the top of all of the layers. Before it would place the new layer directly above the layer that was selected. I noticed that it only does this with the bottom layer. If I select the layer above the bottom layer and then "add layer" it creates the new layer above the previously selected layer (like the old behavior). I couldn't work out why? 

Hokusai

• Staff

Another oddity I noticed with symbols...

Shouldn't the order be reflected in all symbols? I tried reordering a layer in a symbol and it didn't update, even after playing with "sync" button on the symbols panel. See attached image.

Edit: Also playing with the symbols some more I'm seeing what I think is unexpected behavior, but you guys tell me. See this dropbox link for the video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61613349/AD%20%E2%80%93%C2%A0Symbol%20Behavior.mp4

This is just an invalidation issue - the move forward/backward command isn't updating all instances of the symbol, so they don't appear to have changed. If you simply zoomed in a little you'd see the other instances update correctly. I can fix that very trivially - thanks for the heads-up :)

Hi Hokusai,

That seems a bug but i'm not able to reproduce it here with the latest Beta.

Can you please upload a file showing this behaviour so we can check this out? Maybe i'm missing something...

Thanks.

MEB,

You have to have an image placed on the background layer (or the 1st layer) and then more layers on top. It seems to happen with any image (for me).

Hokusai

Example.afdesign

This is just an invalidation issue - the move forward/backward command isn't updating all instances of the symbol, so they don't appear to have changed. If you simply zoomed in a little you'd see the other instances update correctly. I can fix that very trivially - thanks for the heads-up :)

Sure thing. Glad it's an easy fix!

• Staff

What about displaying the Snap state via the cursor and not the object, s as not to interfere with accuracy of artworks' visibility ?

Sometimes you want to also know what it is you are snapping to.  Yes, we could just change the cursor (which we'd have to do for *every* tool that employs snapping), but you'd lose the indication of what was snapped.  As far as I gather, people generally find all the other snapping indicators useful, and certainly important for showing things such as edge alignment where there is some distance between objects.

My initial plan is to try create a localised highlight (a circle of 30 pixels or so) around the actual snap points where a geometry snap is made.  That might make things neater.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Ben,

I turned off the "geometry snap" but every time I open a document, I have to turn it off. Is there some reason that it always on? I have all snapping turned off but the geometry snap doesn't seem to be a part of the snapping. It looks promising but for what I'm working on right now, it is a little intrusive. I hope to get the chance to play around with it more soon. Thanks for all the hard work. 

Hokusai

Are you using the Node or Pen tool?  Because they have additional geometry snapping options for when moving curve nodes.  That is in addition to global snapping, and allows you to snap nodes for curves in the current selection only.  It also allows snapping to smoothed handles, which global geometry snapping does not (since their locations cannot be seen without using the Node tool).

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ben,

Thanks for the explanation but I think the issues that I'm having are something that is off with the beta. Every time I close a document and then open it later, I have to turn off the "geometry snapping" every single time (even though I never turned it on and I always have to turn it off, every single time). The issues I'm having are when I'm drawing with the Pen tool, I see the yellow lines showing up but I don't want to see them. The expected behaviour would be that if I turned it off, it would stay off until I turned it back on but that isn't what happens. It is on by default and it is on whenever I open a new document or whenever I open an existing document. I would guess that the problem is the same as I'm having with the Swatches palette (it always defaults to the "Greys" every time I open a file, please see my post in the Beta 13 thread, here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24736-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15-beta-13/page-2).It is basically the same issue (defaulting to something other than what I had chosen).  I'm using Yosemite if that helps. 

Thanks for all the hard work,

Hokusai

Ben I love that idea of a localized highlight area instead of all the edges...

Sometimes you want to also know what it is you are snapping to. Yes, we could just change the cursor (which we'd have to do for *every* tool that employs snapping), but you'd lose the indication of what was snapped. As far as I gather, people generally find all the other snapping indicators useful, and certainly important for showing things such as edge alignment where there is some distance between objects.

My initial plan is to try create a localised highlight (a circle of 30 pixels or so) around the actual snap points where a geometry snap is made. That might make things neater.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

MEB,

Thanks, I thought maybe it was only me that was having an issue with it. How about the Swatches palette always defaulting to "Grey"? Is that a bug too?

Thanks again,

Hokusai

Hi Hokusai,

If you are using the default palettes this was already fixed in one of the latest Betas. If you are referring to/using custom palettes it may take a little until this is fixed/implemented.

MEB,

Thanks for the response. I''m not so sure the issue was completely resolved because I'm using Beta 13 and I'm using the default "colours" palette, and it still reverts back to "greys" when I close a document. So when I open a document, it is always has the "greys" palette loaded (even though I never have used nor selected the "greys" palette and I always change it to "colours"). I am using Yosemite though so maybe that is the reason?

Hokusai

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.