You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 12)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 12 Here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE BE AWARE - If you have not already run Beta 9, 10 or 11, this version will reset all your settings. If you have already run Beta 9, 10 or 11 then it will not. Please make sure that if you have created any palettes, styles, assets, brushes, etc in the current beta that you export them in the current version first BEFORE installing this beta otherwise you will lose them. This was unfortunately necessary for the Beta 9 build and should hopefully not be required again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Added preferences item for whether the use prefers 'Scrubby zoom' or 'Marquee zoom'
  • Added snapping for text height when creating Artistic Text objects
  • Image exports that exceed the maximum dimensions of that file format are now scaled to fit, rather than cropped to the maximum dimensions
  • Colour panel now has a special mode available only in 32bit documents (not finished at present)
  • Ungroup All should not be ungrouping Symbols that were contained in the structure
  • Initialise the first artboard with any guides currently applied to the document
  • Added check for small mouse movement prior to showing measuring tools - this avoids the overly-intrusive Cmd behaviour at present
  • Fixed PSD export of vector texture-stroked lines
  • Fixed PSD import of 16bit documents
  • Fixed TIFF import of 16bit images
  • Fix for editing curves inside a compound object that is part of a symbol
  • Advanced Navigator mode now correctly disables/enables the rename/remove options as appropriate
  • Fix for creating symbols from within existing symbols
  • Editing guides with the Guides Manager should now work correctly with many artboards
  • Fix for colour picker showing incorrectly if the user holds Alt during a spacebar-pan
  • Improved snapping performance with heavily nested document structures
  • Fixed being unable to add text over pixel layers
  • Miscellaneous other small fixes

MattP,

Thanks so much for getting the Zooming Preference in! I'm soooooooooo happy! Thank you! Thanks for all the hard work!

Hokusai

so much better  :D good old days  :D

but I really hope bleed preview will not "most likely be an APub feature"  :huh:

and docking two panels at the right side like in Windows beta would be nice as well  ;)

thanks for the update!   :lol:

Just downloaded and kicking the tires so to speak... 

I'll echo others here in saying thanks for that zoom preference, it's just really nice to have preferences for these type of workflow things... and cheers again the continued perseverance on these betas.  :)

There is a slight annoyance that isn’t particularly related to this beta but has been bugging me for a while now: In Export mode when you have created a slice and click on a slice layer name in the layers panel the name field changes to white indicating that the name is editable but it isn’t. The text is also seemingly highlighted to indicate that you can type away in order to replace it but the highlight color is grey (implying that the field is not in focus).

You have to double click the name to be able to edit it. This is different from editing layer names in Draw mode and annoys me everytime I stumble upon this.

I hope I could express myself in an understandable way?

Thank you so much for the zoom preference, Matt. Very appreciated …  :D

Now it would be the icing on the cake, if you could find a way to allow activating the zoom tool by Cmd + Space with the text tools, Matt. I remember an old discussion concerning the order in which the modifier keys have to be pressed in order to get the zoom tool. At the moment we have to press Space + Cmd (in that order) to get the zoom tool, and that seems to be the reason why the zoom tool shortcut is disabled for the text tools. (Otherwise we would add a blank to our text frame on the attempt of invoking the zoom tool.)

But if we were allowed to use the modifiers the other way around as well, you could also enable the zoom tool shortcuts for the text tools. Wouldn’t that make sense?  :)

Thanks again,

Alex  :)

When I go to "customise tools" I now have two artboards (well 3 if you count the "move tool/artboard tool"). Is that a bug or is there some difference in the artboards?

By the way, does it make sense that we can drag the same tool several times to the toolbar? Multiple instances of the same tool get linked anyway, as soon as we close the “customise” dialog, so there isn’t really a use for this. Would it be otherwise, I could imagine using several instances of the smart shapes tool on the sidebar, for example …  :unsure:

post-1198-0-81221100-1472758399_thumb.png

• Staff

MattP,

When I go to "customise tools" I now have two artboards (well 3 if you count the "move tool/artboard tool"). Is that a bug or is there some difference in the artboards? 

Hokusai

Yeah... that's called an oopsie...  :huh: I've sorted it out so the duplicates should be gone in the next beta, sorry...

Oh, you are right, Matt! I disabled invoking spotlight by this key combination, since I was accustomed to invoke the zoom tool in Ad*be apps this way, long before there was something like Spotlight on the Mac. I believe Spotlight was introduced in OS X Tiger, wasn’t it? Anyway, it would be more than awesome, if you could find a way to make the zoom shortcut work in this scenario …  :)

And must confess, I am still wondering about this one:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/24191-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15-beta-11/?p=114273

Is that a bug or intended behavior?  :unsure:

Hey Matt would it be a pain to enable the deselect key short that already seems to be in the draw persona but doesn't seem to work, or allow us to input our own there. I'm fighting a couple decades of muscle memory over here... ;)

⌘ + [ cause the app to crash immediately (when working with symbols).

Edit: (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6) – AD 1.5.0 (Beta 12)

1. Created a new document

2. Add a shape to the canvas

3. Make shape into symbol

4. Duplicate Symbol

5. Move backward

6. Crash

• Staff

⌘ + [ cause the app to crash immediately (when working with symbols).

This will probably be down to a specific document hierarchy (even if it's an easy one to reproduce for you) so if you could give us some clues or just send the document to support@seriflabs.com we'll be able to fix it - thanks! :)

Not related to this beta particulary but what is a bit annoing for me for while is fact, that when creating new document as an artboard, the first artboard is not initialized with defined margins. And that in new document I am not able to preset bleed for document. For both these settings I need to reopen document settings one more time :-/ Would this get fixed eventually, so new documents can be set up more smoothly, please?

And one more question: why we actually need two document types: with artboards and that one with single page? Maybe we can live just with the artboard type document (in some cases just with single artboard)? Or am I missing something about this?

And one more question: why we actually need two document types: with artboards and that one with single page? Maybe we can live just with the artboard type document (in some cases just with single artboard)? Or am I missing something about this?

I agree with this and wonder why there are two scenarios...

MattP,

Something that I noticed with the beta. I love the fact that we can put individual shapes (like the donut shape) into the Tool Bar. I use the donut tool often and it is so useful. I noticed something odd when I put the donut tool into the tool bar (as an single shape). When I click on the donut (that I added as a single shape in tool bar) it automatically jumps to the "multi-shape" tool of the donut. So now I have two donut tools showing. This seems redundant. If I put the individual shape in the tool bar, I don't need a second copy of that tool in the multi-shape tool. Would it be possible to make it so that if you add one of the shapes from the "multi-shape" tool, that shape is no longer seen in the multi-shape tool? 

Thanks,

Hokusai

post-3209-0-47977800-1472915427_thumb.png

Will there be an export preview in the near future? I keep hoping with each beta but sadly I don't see one. My job is web design and I need to know the size and quality of the images I'm exporting, especially when working on mobile versions of projects.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.