You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easy: go to File --> Document setup. In the dialog box, on the middle of the left side, in the colour section, there's a checkbox option: Make background transparent. Check it and click OK. Notice that the bg of the current document has the grey & white checkerboard that represents transparency. Now export image, as PNG. The background is transparent.

There's 2 buttons below the Make Background Transparent: Assign and Convert. I don't know what they mean, unfortunately, the Help files has no mention of them or of what Make Background Transparent does.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• Staff

The checkbox 'Transparent background' in Document Setup is just changing the state to say whether or not to draw a big white background or not - if not, then it draws as a checkerboard to the screen, but won't draw at all on export.

The 'Assign' and 'Convert' buttons are relating to the colour profile settings - whether the profile should be assigned to the document without converting the colours from their old space into the new space first, or whether the colour profile should be set to the new one and the colours converted from their old space into the new one - thus trying to maintain the colours where possible (although they may go out of gamut which is unavoidable).

I think it's fair to say that the 'transparent background' checkbox and 'assign/convert' buttons shouldn't appear to relate to each other, so that dialog needs shuffling a bit to make that clear! ;)

Thanks,

Matt

Yes, I checked the box for Transparent background in one of my AD documents and exported it as a PNG. The PNG file had a transparent background. It can be done now. I'm using the current beta 1.0.19988.

Matt was just pointing out that the Assign and Convert buttons dealt with the color profile settings and had nothing to do with the Transparent Background checkbox.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• 2 years later...

Hi I would like there to be a shortcut for transparency.  I need to switch back and forth quickly and also I can't always work in transparency mode with the grid.  But it take few few extra steps to go to Document then Color and then check Transparency, and then to uncheck later on.  If there was a menu item then I could assign a shortcut to it but it's not there. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/1/2017 at 4:18 AM, abarkalo said:

Hi I would like there to be a shortcut for transparency.  I need to switch back and forth quickly and also I can't always work in transparency mode with the grid.  But it take few few extra steps to go to Document then Color and then check Transparency, and then to uncheck later on.  If there was a menu item then I could assign a shortcut to it but it's not there. 

Hi I'm just checking in again about a shortcut for transparency. I would like something like a toggle as in Illustrator's shift-CMD-D. In Illustrator I toggle back and forth quite a bit when designing. In Designer it's a bit of a chore to go to Document Setup > Color > set transparency on/off. Please show me a way to create a shortcut.

30 minutes ago, abarkalo said:

Hi I'm just checking in again about a shortcut for transparency. I would like something like a toggle

Agree +1. There already is a feature request for this.

In AfPub it would be comfortable to have this transparency toggling with the "Toggle Preview Mode" button of the context toolbar. There it can get a custom key shortcut assigned.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 6 months later...
30 minutes ago, donnac202 said:

Arrrgh! I can't get the transparent bkgd you've talked about! I'm on Catalina working in Designer. I've followed the suggestions above, and still can't get it! What'm I not doing?

What do you see when you make a new empty document with Transparency checked in the Colour Tab. It should be a grey and white checkerboard pattern. For existing documents you may have a layer with white covering the whole document area.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If you didn’t create the Designer document with a Transparent background originally, you can change it at any time by going to File > Document Setup.
Select the Colour tab in the setup window and tick Transparent Background.

1010442994_Screenshot2020-06-07at17_35_26.png.d86a4ea3656e90d30a31c84320f44b13.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Interesting... I created a new doc, checking transparency. What came up was a doc with a white bkgd. When I pull down a menu item, around the edges of the window I see a "shadow" of the checkerboard you mentioned. I've attached a screenshot to show you. Thanks-Screenshot 2020-06-07 13.06.46.pdf

Screenshot 2020-06-07 13.09.45.pdf Screenshot 2020-06-07 13.06.46.pdf

I’m not sure what you are saying here?
Your 2 screenshots both show you have a document open that has a transparent background, as denoted by the pale grey checkerboard pattern.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

How bright  is your monitor?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Can you post 2 screenshot of the entire screen so that we may see the document in context as you are seeing it. One capture with no drop-down menu and one with a drop-down would be good. Also a shot of your Document setup window's Colour tab might be helpful too.

... and please post your screenshot file directly, not packed into a PDF.

Possible make the screenshot with this image opened ...
Do you see on there in the bottom bar 3 very light grey squares on the white background?

289437799_DQ-Tool_Monitor2.jpg.b9b283be2288a03c01d09ad9cc1b1a86.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 11/3/2014 at 2:48 AM, MattP said:

The checkbox 'Transparent background' in Document Setup is just changing the state to say whether or not to draw a big white background or not - if not, then it draws as a checkerboard to the screen, but won't draw at all on export.

The 'Assign' and 'Convert' buttons are relating to the colour profile settings - whether the profile should be assigned to the document without converting the colours from their old space into the new space first, or whether the colour profile should be set to the new one and the colours converted from their old space into the new one - thus trying to maintain the colours where possible (although they may go out of gamut which is unavoidable).

I think it's fair to say that the 'transparent background' checkbox and 'assign/convert' buttons shouldn't appear to relate to each other, so that dialog needs shuffling a bit to make that clear! ;)

Thanks,

Matt

As clear as mud.

• 2 years later...
On 12/1/2019 at 8:22 PM, thomaso said:

Agree +1. There already is a feature request for this.

In AfPub it would be comfortable to have this transparency toggling with the "Toggle Preview Mode" button of the context toolbar. There it can get a custom key shortcut assigned.

was this ever implemented? its been a 4 years and noticed that Affinity photo has a toggle transparency option. I still haven't been able to find a way to toggle transparency on affinity designer by default. 

50 minutes ago, Affuser1 said:

was this ever implemented?

Not in V1 where you still have to do at least 3 clicks to show/hide the white background/transp. pattern. In V1 the option "Toggle Preview Mode" exists only for APub while AD is always in kind of preview mode. I can't tell about V2.