dogcow

Designer: Making equal adjustments to node handles

If I have a curve and want to edit a node that has two handles, how can I adjust one and have the other handle mirror that adjustment? For instance, let's say I have a semi-circular curve and I want to move the center node's handle away from the node by 20 points. I want the other handle to move 20 points in the opposite direction so that the curve adjusts equally on both sides. I tried dragging the handle using modifier keys to accomplish this, but nothing seemed to work. Maybe not possible?

Hi Dogcow,

You could select the nodes you want to move a specific distance using the Node Tool [A] then use the Transform tab to move them by a specific amount instead of dragging them :)

C

Hi dogcow,

Currently it's not possible to move both handles simultaneously but if you place the first handle where you want then press ⇧ (shift) and drag the other it will snap to the same distance as the first (from the center) - you will see a small vertical line appear in each handle to let you know that both have the same distance.

Hi dogcow. Your screen name & avatar are a nice "blast from the past."  :) Moof!

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Hi dogcow,

Currently it's not possible to move both handles simultaneously but if you place the first handle where you want then press ⇧ (shift) and drag the other it will snap to the same distance as the first (from the center) - you will see a small vertical line appear in each handle to let you know that both have the same distance.

Right, it looks like the Shift key will constrict the handles to the y-axis position of the node being modified, but what I was asking for is to move handles away or towards the node with the same offset.

For example, currently if I drag the right handle (represented by '(H)') of a node , the other handle will remain. If the node is at the apex of a semi-circle, one side will take on a different shape.

(H)------(N)--------------(H)

What I'd like is to hold a modifier key while dragging a handle to mimic the same offset for the other handle. This would allow symmetric edits to both curves controlled by a node's handles.

(H)--------------(N)--------------(H)

Hi dogcow. Your screen name & avatar are a nice "blast from the past."  :) Moof!

Thanks.  :)  I grew up designing on a classic Mac, and will always have a special affection for the old OS. How things have changed, and yet haven't!

I also would like to see a modifier key to enable symmetric adjustments of the handles. Since all the other usual ones are already used, the Control key would be the obvious choice. So for example, Control + Shift would both constrain the drag direction & adjust both handles simultaneously.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Hi dogcow,

Right, it looks like the Shift key will constrict the handles to the y-axis position of the node being modified, but what I was asking for is to move handles away or towards the node with the same offset.

For example, currently if I drag the right handle (represented by '(H)') of a node , the other handle will remain. If the node is at the apex of a semi-circle, one side will take on a different shape.

(H)------(N)--------------(H)

MEB's instructions work for me in AD on Windows beta 1.5.0.15. The Shift key not only constrains the angle (rather than the y-axis position) but also gives me the small vertical line that he mentioned.

In your example, drag the left handle away from the node or drag the right handle towards the node, in either case holding down the Shift key as you drag. There should be a detent when you reach the 'small vertical line' point, and releasing the mouse button will give you the symmetric node that you want.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

In your example, drag the left handle away from the node or drag the right handle towards the node, in either case holding down the Shift key as you drag. There should be a detent when you reach the 'small vertical line' point, and releasing the mouse button will give you the symmetric node that you want.

But that just moves one handle to make it symmetric with the other, already adjusted one. What is desired is a way to adjust one handle & have the other one mirror it, all in one step.

Hi dogcow

I understood your question but as I said currently it's not possible to adjust both nodes simultaneously. What I was trying to explain was that If you press ⇧ (shift) you are not only constraining (locking) the angle of both handles but you are also able to make them snap to the same offset (only if both handles share the same axis). You will see a small vertical line crossing both handles when this happens - check this clip (no sound).

The ability to adjust both nodes handles simultaneously was already requested quite a few times and I believe will be implemented in a future version.

What is desired is a way to adjust one handle & have the other one mirror it, all in one step.

Understood, R C-R. I was treating it as a given that, as Miguel had already stated, it isn't currently possible to move both handles simultaneously. :)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Ha, sorry for being confused, now I understand what MEB was saying after Alfred explained it. While not entirely intuitive, the snapping trick does get the job done in an extra step.

@razorpig

After I create a shape, in this case a circle > Convert to Curves (from the context menu or toolbar) > Node Tool > SHIFT select opposite nodes > Transform Mode (toolbar) > click a node + CTRL + drag

@Dr. Dave Thanks Dr Dave ! - that works very nicely with two different nodes but I can't seem to get it working with the two transform handles of a single node. How do you select both transform handles? I've tried holding CTRL, SHIFT, ALT and all the usual combinations.