You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertical + Horizontal Text Align in Shape

Hi all -

This may appear as a complete 'nob head' question but I am hiding behind the excuse of being new to Affinity...

Question: How to center text both center and middle in a shape? 

I have a number of squares, each generated with the corresponding shape tool, and want to put a block of text in each, each possibly of a different lenght. Irrespective their character number, each text block should become positioned exactly in their square's center. 

I've run past the text tutorials - each of which are excellent - but couldn't find the answer I am looking for.

Could anyone help me out here?

post-32744-0-10199000-1472676020_thumb.jpg

Hi RaymondDO,

welcome to the forum.

I am not aware that there is a vertical align setting for text.

Two ways come to mind:

1) If you turn on automatic snapping by pressing this icon in the toolbar post-32410-0-86837900-1472677637_thumb.png

you will see help lines once you move the text frame over one of the squares. Those helplines indicate if the text is over the horizontal and vertical middle.

This should look like this:

post-32410-0-38914700-1472677926_thumb.png

2) The other way is to use the alignment feature which you can find in the toolbar (among other places):

post-32410-0-13924400-1472678081_thumb.png

(Sorry, the language is set to German but you should easily understand how it works, once you look at it in your language).

You can look up a detailed description in the help file under "Object control > Aligning objects".

As an example there are three squares and three blocks of text. Note: the text is not inside the sqares but seperat frametext objects.

• Make sure each frame text object is just as high so that all lines are contained. No extra space at the bottom.
  • Place each text centered above it's corresponding square by using the alignment feature.
  • Select all three texts and use the align toolbar window to align these three on their vertical middle axis.
  • Group the three text boxes (CTRL + g)
  • Select one square and the grouped text boxes.
  • Use the toolbar window to "Align vertically: Align middle" with "Align to selection Bounds" selected.

I hope this get's you started  :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Nice work Dominik - Herzlich Dank!

[My German is most definitely rusty - to say the least. Originally from Holland but that was many years ago. Your response was perfect...]

I'll give that a go. The artwork I am making is for a client and fairly boring but this text alignment thing is a reoccurring challenge in this piece. Thanks for adding the images; made your response much clearer. Appreciate the effort; going to give all this a go mate.

Cheers.

Nice work Dominik - Herzlich Dank!

[My German is most definitely rusty - to say the least. Originally from Holland but that was many years ago. Your response was perfect...]

I'll give that a go. The artwork I am making is for a client and fairly boring but this text alignment thing is a reoccurring challenge in this piece. Thanks for adding the images; made your response much clearer. Appreciate the effort; going to give all this a go mate.

Cheers.

Glad to be of help. I'm sure you get this working for you.

Grüße!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil