You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anybody using Super Vectorize (Mac) with Affinity Designer?

Since a trace/vectorize function isn't likely to be added to AD anytime soon, as an alternative I downloaded the free trial of Super Vectorize & tested it with a variety of images.

It seems to do a reasonably good job but since export is disabled in the free trial, I don't have any way of knowing how many nodes it creates for SVG exported from the app. I don't mind importing the SVG's into AD to do a little clean up & simplification if the paths are not overly complex, but if there is no way to control that then the app would not be worth purchasing, even at the current reduced price of $20 US.

Can anybody tell me how well it does in this respect?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

some time ago I bought it discounted as well and deleted it after a few tries cause it can´t handle normal sized images but I just tried a tiny image and the result was not too bad

if you upload a sample image I´ll just give you the SVG or PDF that the program calculates so you can evaluate yourself 

It find it does pretty well for my purposes.

Mind you, I don't do very complicated things and I'm not a professional designer.

Here's a sample.

Thanks very much for that. From your edge mode sample SVG, it looks like the app in that mode would create far too many nodes to be useful to me. Perhaps it would do better in color mode, but for now I try evtonic3's suggestion & try out Image2Vector.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well, I tried out Image2Vector but encountered several problems with it. For one thing, there is no help or documentation provided so I had to guess about what settings did what. None that I tried produced usable results -- there were always large areas of red tones that turned transparent & except for the first time I used it, it exported ai files no matter what file format I chose.

It doesn't even have any user accessible preferences, so to reset the conversion parameters, I had to quit the app, go to the containers folder & delete the preference file where it retains the last settings used. I also had trouble using the up/down value buttons along with the numeric fields -- changing something in the numeric field & then clicking the up or down button returned the value to what it was before entering a numeric value.

I guess I can't complain too much about a free app, but this one feels like an early beta that isn't ready for any serious use.  :(

Affinity Photo 

I use Image Vectoriser available on the app store £3.99 very simple but works great with lots of control over accuracy with a minimal amount of node points - far better than tracing in illustrator - my workflow has changed from illustrating in illustrator using the blob brush to using Photo, Mischief or clip studio paint to produce the linework, export jpeg and use Image Vectoriser then simply copy and paste into Designer - ACE! (still need Illustrator to deform text tho') see attached example for T-shirt design - I've read somewhere on the forum that theres gonna be a Halftone filter included which would be AWESOME if it generates vector information as I prefer to generate all vector for clients whenever possible  

post-9905-0-12406100-1472726274_thumb.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Thanks for suggesting Image Vectoriser. As I understand it from the web site help page, this app is limited to black & white (or custom foreground & background colors) conversions, which work best with line drawings & such.

There is mention of using the halftone bitmap preprocessing options for photos but not really any details about what options there are for that or what kind of results to expect. If you have used that to convert any photos, would you mind explaining a bit about how that works & what the output looks like?

At only $5 U.S. I will probably just buy it & do my own experimentation but anything you could tell me about photo conversions would be appreciated.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 months later...