You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color cast when RGB profile doesn't match working RGB color space

There seems to be a problem in Affinity Photo with viewing files that are in a different color space than the working color space set in Preferences.

Example:

I have a simple file with a grey gradient (16Bit TIFF, ProPhoto RGB). When I open this in Affinity Photo there is a slight orange color cast in some of the dark greys and a slight blue color cast in some of the not so dark greys. See attached file "AP-vs-PS.png" (screenshot of the same file open in AP (left) and Photoshop CC (right)).

The file is not changed by AP. I can work on it - ignoring the color casts - , safe it again and open it in Photoshop and there is still no color cast in Photoshop. The problem is just the viewing of the file in AP.

In this example I use a file with an embedded ProPhoto RGB profile. But I have the same problems when using a file with an embedded eciRGB or AdobeRGB profile.

Color settings in AP:

RGB color profile: sRGB; convert open files to working space unchecked (see screenshot "AP-color-settings.png")

Color settings in PS:

Working space RGB: sRGB; Profile Mismatches: Ask when opening checked (and when opening, I choose "use the embedded profile (instead of the working space)") (see screenshot "PS-color-settings.png")

As a workaround I can set the working space in AP to the same as the embedded profile of the file I open. But this is not how color management should work!

Others have asked similar questions but I don't think they were ever answered.

post-3511-0-10111000-1472632097_thumb.png

post-3511-0-01237600-1472632109_thumb.png

post-3511-0-88134600-1472632124_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Mala,

Welcome to the Forum :)

I have tried to recreate this here at my end and unfortunately haven't had much luck using the settings provided in your screenshots. Would it be possible for you to provide the file in question so I may investigate this further for you? If you don't want to post the file on this thread please feel free to send me a private message :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 3 months later...