You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Features that will make Illustrator Obsolete

This is my list of feature requests so I can completely ditch illustrator. While I love Affinity Designer and bought it to support development, It doesn't fully replace Illustrator because of a few key features that are missing:

Feature Request List:

1) Path offset

2) Shape builder

3) Snap to intersection between 2 paths (This has been fixed in the latest 1.5 beta)

4) Snap to self/copy. (i.e. when I drag and object it should snap to its previous position, or if I Alt drag a copy of an object it should snap to the original object). 

Existing Features That Are Buggy:

1) Expanding a stroke creates way too many verts

Other Low Priority Features:

1) Use saved pressure curves across documents

• Staff

We already do snap to path intersection.  It depends on the context of what you are trying to achieve.

Also, what version are you using, because snapping of groups should now work ok.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

We already do snap to path intersection.  It depends on the context of what you are trying to achieve.

Also, what version are you using, because snapping of groups should now work ok.

Hey Ben,

Sorry the group snap was my bad so I've removed it from my initial post. It works fine on 1.4.2 and 1.5b11. I'm new to AD and hadn't understood the concept of candidates and having to activate them before trying to snap.

Snap to intersection however only works in 1.5b11 and not in 1.4.2. Also the over all improvements to snapping in 1.5 are great btw. Thanks a lot for that! :)

Hi raglet,

for the path offset, waiting for a proper function, there is a quick workaround.

For the node reduction I guess they're working on it since in 1.5 beta we have the possibility to remove a node keeping the shape intact (Alt+Backspace).

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers