You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Pumpkin Tutorial

Hi Xiaoki, welcome to the forums.

I've just downloaded the tutorial and all seems fine. A glitch perhaps?

Here is the link again

https://app.box.com/s/gltgu7u2wscuxxra1e1y

HTH

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Wow! What can I say? Terrific! Thanks a million. Beautifully organized. Just the right amount of info for a first plunge, and just the right amount of reasons why. Adobe should offer you $$$$ to write tutorials, but I figure I'm probably through with Adobe—there's something liberating about Affinity, and this tutorial is a huge plus. Hope you're back in the pink of health! Thank you, Mike!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I'm alive and kicking.The , um, recent unpleasantness is all over and I'm none the worse for the wear.  

And then there's this: here's good news and bad news.

Bad news, is that I have no freaking idea when the final part of the tutorial will be done. 

Good news, is that now that I'm hale and healthy (so to speak), I'm experiencing an unbridled rush of creativity and energy. And it's all directed at my comics. Unfortunately, the art is strictly raster and not vector. So my use of AD is limited. And since it's comics, I'm using Manga Studio and not AP -- as I enjoy having my entire story open at once (from 24 to 130 pages) and being able to effortlessly go from page to page. Again, it's that using the best tool for the job at hand thing. 

Over the past two weeks, I've written and laid out a 130 page Graphic Novel. The longest sustained narrative I've ever done, btw. It's a story that's been clamoring to get out of my mind-maze for some time and I just let loose and let it out. It's one of those things, artistically, that I cannot let go of and it is all-consuming until I finish it. All. 130+. Pages. Of. It. 

If I could be excused, this once, and post work not done in an Affinity product, I'd like to share a bit of the work with y'all. This is from what I plan to use as a back cover of the story and (maybe?) as a promo piece for the Graphic Novel (it's title is Hard Rock Candi, btw). The art is still WIP, but the text is "golden" as in finished. 

candi-bk-cvr_color_comp_b_sml.png

Going just a titch current-event-y, I began writing this story before the brouhaha in Indiana, US began and as time passes, the story becomes more relevant. Art should always strive to shake up the status-quo, whenever possible, ya know. 

Anyway, backing away from completing the tutorial is not a decision I made lightly. I gave it much thought. It would take about 2-3 weeks to complete (and some time to catch up with the changes in AD and the introduction of Affinity Photo) and at this time, it would be time that needs to be used to work on the graphic novel and two other stories that I'm con-currently working on. IOW, my heart's in doing my comics and not in the tutorial. 

I'm sure most here understands how the creative river flows and understands my decision. And if you don't, my sincere apologies. I do suggest checking out everything Ronnie McBride's doing. His tutorials are really good and he's worked up a good backlog of stuff on his YouTube channel that every one should get caught up on.

I'll still be around, but not to the extent I was last year.

See y'all around these parts, fellow pixel-pushers!

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

I agree with MEB. Happy to see that everything is ok now. Do what makes you happy and everything works out.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

You may also check Discover Affinity Designer & Affinity Designer Feature Overview to get an overall overview of the application. Here's a link to the full list of video tutorials available on Vimeo.

MEB, could you make that Vimeo link a sticky for the "Tutorials" forum.  That page is better organized and seems to have more content than what I've seen on YouTube.

• 2 months later...

The tutorial was great and informative.  It took me about 4 hours to get through, but once I was working, I was flying.  Will there be a part 2 tutorial coming out anytime soon?  Or is this kind of a dead thread at this point?

@CartoonMike thanks for all your hard work and dedication.

I may be working on the second and final part later on in July/August. I've been working like crazy to get stuff for an open submission for a comic publisher (Oni) and the window for the submissions closes on the end of this month (June). FYI, it's a series about intelligent salamanders, space travel, water shenanigans, murder and octopodial sphere ships tearing apart pirate air-ships. Y'know, the usual. :P

Along with the conclusion, will be an updating of the first part to reflect the changes/improvements and other stuff in the most recent released (not beta) App store version.

Now I just have to deal with my newly acquired addiction to Copic Markers. Is there a 12 hue program for it?

later.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• 4 weeks later...

I have no idea how the pumpkin is going to turn out because I have only made it to page 5. I felt the need to stop and add my thanks for the work you did and my compliments for the way you did it, to the growing list of others who appreciate the effort. And for what it's worth, your font choice does exactly what you wanted it to. I really like your style. Well done. I look forward to finishing part 1 and the completion of part 2.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Mike!

My journey through this thread has been a roller coaster of emotions.

Astonishment at your tutorial. Beautiful design! Useful tips! Hilarious jokes! An explanation of vector voodoo that I can actually understand! So impressed. Then... mild panic. Okay, working through 37 pages. Got the hang of it. GLOWING PRIDE. I finished the tutorial and AD is feeling less mysterious. Uh oh... part 2? It's not there! Oh god. This was published in 2014. Okay, reading all the comments now. Oh god no. Mike was sick. DID HE DIE? OH DEAR GOD NO. Wait. Nope, he's on the mend but he's super busy. No problem, I'll just... post this comment and hope the thread isn't dead.

If you're out there, Mike... I loved this tutorial. And I would be so thrilled if you were working on part 2.

You're the man.

@kusayat Well gosh darn, thanks! I was thinking about dusting off this tutorial and redoing it by completing part 2 and then updating the whole shebang to 1.7 (which hopefully will be out by then). So it would be completed at long last. So I'm tentatively planning on starting this sometime top of next year. That's right after my pancreatic cancer surgery, which should be later this month or early Nov. My prognosis is excellent and I've completed the 6 months of chemo. the tumor has shrunk and my oncologist is very optimistic. Yea!

Yeah I've been kicked down, but I'm not out. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

---

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know about this tutorial....Great work with it, Mike. Very fresh approach, too. 

And of course....  Keep strong !   :) 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.