charlie

The required extension is ".tiff"

Affinity Photo prevents me from Exporting a file with the extension ".tif" I am trying to 'round-trip' from CO (Capture One) which saves it's tiff files as ".tif". 

If I open the file directly from CO and press save, all is well and I can save the file to it's original name. 

If however I decide to save the work in progress to a ".afphoto" format and later want to export it back to have the properly edited file in CO up pops a dialog box telling me that Affinity Photo only wants to save tiff files as ".tiff". I now have to save as ".tiff" to another directory, rename to to ".tif" and then move it over the original. This is not user-friendly  

This is not a warning (you may not be able to open this fie if you do not use a .tiff extension) but a you may not save is as this. Basically the extension that I choose to save my file with should be mine. Affinity Photo should not domineer.

As it makes round-tripping extremely non user-friendly I see it as a bug in an otherwise great piece of software. Please change this to a waning.  

I'm on Windows, so I don't have Affinity Photo yet, but in Affinity Designer on Windows if I open myfile.afdesign and choose to export it as TIFF I can simply remove the final 'f' from the file name myfile.tiff which appears in the dialog. I'd be very surprised if Affinity Photo on Mac behaves differently.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Unfortunately just removing the final 'f' does not work on a mac; up pops the dialog box. Though it seems that you are currently on 1.5.x while I still have 1.4.2, so maybe they have fixed this in the new version.

In Photo 1.5 beta 4 on a Mac neither Save As nor Export show the extension in the save/export dialog.  I think they used to but I'm not positive on that.  And yes, I do have Automatically Hide Extension turned OFF.