You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm grading sewing patters with Illustrator. Meaning I create one size of a sewing pattern and "with some clicks and changing some settings" the software creates various sizes of it.

You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dhYcI8Pd4k The part I'm talking about starts at 10:00 and 11:50.

Also is it possible to show a scanned picture (with the sewing pattern that I created by hand) as a layer and draw vector lines over it?

Thanks and Kind Regards

Magi

To resize a selected object by an exact amount, type a percentage such as 75% or an expression such as *=1.5 into the width or height controls in the Transform panel.

To trace a scanned picture, place it on a layer above or below the drawing layer and reduce its opacity so that you can see what you're doing. Drawing below the scanned picture is better for pictures with detailed fills (because a solid fill on the drawing layer would obscure part of the picture placed underneath) but for a sewing pattern where you presumably have lines without fills it shouldn't really matter which way you do it. When you're finished tracing, simply hide the scanned picture layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, reglico said:

Hello caseyrtomberlindraw the shape with a thick enough contour, "Layer", "Expand Stroke", reverse the colors and adjust the thickness of the lines.

Trait double.jpg

reglico thank you so much for your help

please forgive me for my ignorance , i couldn't follow your directions , i have a shape with a thick stroke but i dont understand what you meant by , "contour, "Layer", "Expand Stroke", reverse the colors and adjust the thickness of the lines."

caseyrtomberlin, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I made you a little animated gif, forgive me but my interface is in French.
To expand the line, go to "Layer", "Expand Stroke".
Then invert the filling and stroke colors to visualize the two strokes of the shape created by "Expand Stroke". To do this, go to the "Colors" tab of the studio on the right-hand side of the screen and click on the double arrow.
To adjust the line thickness, switch to the "Stroke" tab of the studio.
I hope this helps you.

Double contour.gif

7 minutes ago, reglico said:

caseyrtomberlin, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I made you a little animated gif, forgive me but my interface is in French.
To expand the line, go to "Layer", "Expand Stroke".
Then invert the filling and stroke colors to visualize the two strokes of the shape created by "Expand Stroke". To do this, go to the "Colors" tab of the studio on the right-hand side of the screen and click on the double arrow.
To adjust the line thickness, switch to the "Stroke" tab of the studio.
I hope this helps you.

Double contour.gif

aaaaahhh i understand , thank you sooo much for your help Reglico. 

is there anyway to make the space in between the outside lines a specific value? As i mentioned i need the border to be exactly 0.5'' out from the original outline. 0.5'' is the ''seam allowance"

On 8/28/2016 at 4:48 PM, Alfred said:

To resize a selected object by an exact amount, type a percentage such as 75% or an expression such as *=1.5 into the width or height controls in the Transform panel.

To trace a scanned picture, place it on a layer above or below the drawing layer and reduce its opacity so that you can see what you're doing. Drawing below the scanned picture is better for pictures with detailed fills (because a solid fill on the drawing layer would obscure part of the picture placed underneath) but for a sewing pattern where you presumably have lines without fills it shouldn't really matter which way you do it. When you're finished tracing, simply hide the scanned picture layer.

i need an even half inch border around the whole pattern. i tried the whole resizing percentage equation thang but it didnt come out right. Can someone plz help me out?1025489063_Screenshot(44).thumb.png.80635e3d655e639d172a0886ac310f84.png

i need help plzz.afdesign

Set the thickness of the original line to 0.5" (type 0.5" in the line window in the studio) and define the alignment of the stroke  outside, always in the same window. Once "Expand Stroke" is done, set the alignment of the lines also to "Outside", the space between the two will be 0.5".

3 hours ago, reglico said:

Set the thickness of the original line to 0.5" (type 0.5" in the line window in the studio) and define the alignment of the stroke  outside, always in the same window. Once "Expand Stroke" is done, set the alignment of the lines also to "Outside", the space between the two will be 0.5".

well hot damn thank you so much you're a saint Reglico ! that's a clever trick brother . how'd you figure something like that out ?

7 hours ago, caseyrtomberlin said:

how'd you figure something like that out ?

It's actually a workaround to a feature not yet implemented in Affinity Designer that Adobe Illustrator calls the Offset Path.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions