You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Old shot revisited in Affinity Photo

Frank Jonen

Had a bit of time last night for a weekend challenge so I pulled out an old Nikon raw file from an assignment in 2009 that was horribly mis-metered and badly exposed. Due to time constraints (the main shots had to be seeded to press right after the show) a bunch of shots never got published because they would have required too much time per shot.

My challenge now was: Can I make this acceptable in 30 minutes or less. I think I got in the ballpark to where it'd be usable in an editorial context. Not likely that I'll publish this one as it's just a training piece to develop faster workflows. 

Moral of the story. Always shoot raw. Converters get better, new apps come along, chances are you can fix a bad shot a few years down the road.

I pretty much expunged the way of working I had in Photoshop and now am closer to how I'd approach a shot in Nuke. 

Meta:

Shot on August 8th 2009 at The Water Rats (Monto) in London, UK.

Event: Noush Skaugen's album pre-release show for the DrSystem album

post-33173-0-58906400-1472319870_thumb.jpg

Glad you guys enjoyed it. :D  I reckon the best part of this is: Almost everything is live. Affinity files are like a raw file to the edit.

While I did some brushing to the highlights to give them a nicer blooming, the rest is all done with either live filters or adjustments. 

Smaller file size, faster opens, faster saves.

Just be aware of the unsharp masking live filter. Put that as far up in the layer stack as you can. Otherwise you'll have to wait for ever on the export when other live filters have to interact with it. Especially Clarity. It's a good idea to merge-copy till after that combo and disable the layers till you need to change them. 

It's certainly a difficult filter performance wise. Using an unsharp masking filter in any app where it's a life effect (NLEs, compositing apps…) can get you into trouble with performance unless you take some precautions. A precision slider or masking would be interesting to see. Quite often you just need it to pick up highlighted edges without having to use a find edges, black&white, making setup. So a basic setup could be enough and could have a low performance hit by sacrificing some quality in the process.

• 4 weeks later...