So where is the trace function? Inkscape seems totally dead now and there is no way around Adobe on Mac if one needs to trace bitmaps it seems. Or are there any good news on that feature yet?

No trace function yet. The staff have said it probably will not be implemented at least until version 2 is released, & possibly longer than that.

I have used several online tracing services, but like the trace function built into some other apps I have, I am rarely pleased with the results for anything other than very simple monochrome (1 bit) images.

Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Gan,

You can currently trace bitmaps and raster images using Designer. The only caveat being you have to do it the old fashioned way, and trace it by yourself. There isn't an auto-trace feature yet. They are working on it but it isn't yet included in Designer. You can find out more here:https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/396-jpeg-bitmap-tracing-to-covert-to-vector/. 

Hokusai

Not sure about others, but in my case i'm mostly interested in 'auto' tracing in a situation where i have a low resolution bitmap image. In other case, there's less need. When i then see how difficult in that case it is to do a good 'manual' trace (and how easy in the case of a good bitmap), i can't imagine that any auto trace function would do a good job in such a situation.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS 10.15 Catalina on 8GB MBP13 2013 | macOS 10.15 Catalina on 16GB MBP13 2017

I would like to know as well about the trace? Sometimes it's not a matter of quality as it is speed. If your a one man shop like me and you have three or four projects already due at the same time, it helps when at four o'clock a different client needs a logo re-drawn from the same piece of paper they first printed it out on five years ago. Thanks for the amazing program BTW! I love it and have been recommending to youth pastors and children's pastors in my area who need the quality and can figure out how to use it without a degree.

Joel Parsons

Clear Comp Design

jp@clearcompdesign.com

www.clearcompdesign.com