You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyper-V virtual Win 10 - has only directx 9e

This came up because during its maiden run, Affinity Deisgner complained that my video card didn't support directx 10.

Interesting wrinkle. I'm running Affinity Designer in a virtual Windows 10 Pro machine via Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization.

Dxdiag in the Hyper-V WIndows machine reports only a directx 9e. The host's dxdiag tells me (as I knew) that my graphic card is running directx 11.2. (The host also has a Windows 10 Pro installation).

Hyper-V apparently substitutes its own virtual hardware - it apparently can't see into my host machine's innards and find the physical card.

A web search results in a possible solution, to use RDP, something about which I know nothing and won't try to play with. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a sure fix.

This may not trigger much instant action among the Affinity developers... I don't know what percent of your user base is working on a virtual machine. But lots of us who dabble in beta releases DO use virtualization as a way of sequestering any rogue behaviors.

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I just ordered Affinity Designer.

I use virtual machine under Hyper-V (windows 10 - 1709 pro x64), all my work related software installed in VM.

Hyper-V allow to share with VM host graphic card, i see that acceleration work fine.

Unfortunately when I'm trying to resize shape, graphical artifacts appears. Not sure what exactly cause issue, but would be great if someone from support will investigate.

Maybe that can be fixed somehow.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:49 PM, OldDave said:

This came up because during its maiden run, Affinity Deisgner complained that my video card didn't support directx 10.

Interesting wrinkle. I'm running Affinity Designer in a virtual Windows 10 Pro machine via Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization.

Dxdiag in the Hyper-V WIndows machine reports only a directx 9e. The host's dxdiag tells me (as I knew) that my graphic card is running directx 11.2. (The host also has a Windows 10 Pro installation).

Hyper-V apparently substitutes its own virtual hardware - it apparently can't see into my host machine's innards and find the physical card.

A web search results in a possible solution, to use RDP, something about which I know nothing and won't try to play with. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a sure fix.

This may not trigger much instant action among the Affinity developers... I don't know what percent of your user base is working on a virtual machine. But lots of us who dabble in beta releases DO use virtualization as a way of sequestering any rogue behaviors.

Hyper-V does not virtualize your gpu by default.

you have to enable remoteFX, which is basicly API passthrough from your VM to your dedicated gpu (intel graphics wont work here though). It allows you to "virtualize" your GPU.

It should support directX 10 and 11. The limitation though, if I'm not mistaken, is you can only create virtual gpus up to 3GB VRAM. Performance is also a bit of a mixed bag and only directX applications are supported (so no openGL or Vulcan).

If you want to use gpu accelerated programs, vmware has more options, including pci-passthrough so you can use a gpu in your vm as it was directly plugged in without a hypervisor (though for this you need a supported CPU (with VT-D or AMD-V))

• 3 weeks later...
On 04.01.2018 at 9:22 PM, R34V3r said:

Hyper-V does not virtualize your gpu by default.

you have to enable remoteFX, which is basicly API passthrough from your VM to your dedicated gpu (intel graphics wont work here though). It allows you to "virtualize" your GPU.

It should support directX 10 and 11. The limitation though, if I'm not mistaken, is you can only create virtual gpus up to 3GB VRAM. Performance is also a bit of a mixed bag and only directX applications are supported (so no openGL or Vulcan).

If you want to use gpu accelerated programs, vmware has more options, including pci-passthrough so you can use a gpu in your vm as it was directly plugged in without a hypervisor (though for this you need a supported CPU (with VT-D or AMD-V))

When gpu virtualized, we got graphical artifacts during canvas update.

Mark already told that such way is not an option.

We can use affinity with VMConnect only if gpu is not virtualized (all computings will be on CPU) or via mstsc.

Hope, developers will check what happen, in case if it is simple to fix.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.