You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 4)

Know what you mean. I have been playing with Nikons Capture NX-D and it probably does all I need, except it does not play easily with outside editors. Adobe Bridge works ok and that is free, I believe!

Can't get to like iCloud. I hate that whatever it does it wants to retain a copy of the file on my Mac when I just want to use it as a drive in the sky! Maybe I should try Amazon.

What I have found is that if you start off with a Tiff, AP (1.5 beta anyway) will return a Tiff to Apple Photo. Perhaps a workflow is edit raw in Apple Photo then export a tiff, keeping it in Apple Photo and then edit the tiff in AP. If you want to keep the raw safe you can always hide it. Just wish there was a way to collapse the views in Apple Photos - I cannot understand why headings (dates) cannot be collapsed so the pics are not visible.

Ah fudge. OK, I am finding why I went away from Photos.......... :angry:

Look at the edited in the main Photo viewer and the info says RAW. Look at it in the simple photo editor and it is JPEG. Click revert to original and it is back to RAW however the way Apple Photo works with RAW in its menus is frustrating.

However. This extension is looking like it will do what I want. I can export from the Affinity editor then revert to original back in Photo and leave it as it was, or edited for the family etc. Might be getting there. But see now that it is as you said a few posts up.

Canon Digital Photo Professional is quite good though and wonder now how to combine them. I pretty much use Affinity more than anything for editing but checking and some RAW on Canon, maybe that is an ask to link easily to or from?

Will mess with the tiff options later.

Not easy, Jef, is it? What I will say is that I think for basic raw editing Apple Photo is better than AP at the moment. The only advantage AP has is overlays but if you can edit a well balanced raw in Apple Photos there is no need to round trip to AP anyway. It is the same with LR, very few of my images have to go beyond that to Photoshop for editing - in fact if I need to tweak further I find the Macphun plugins do the job in most cases.

Use of Erase Brush Tool [E] on raster layer partially moved, so a part is hidden / off-canvas, clips the layer content to visible part of that layer. The part hidden behind canvas margin is clipped and lost.

Guess this is by bug not by design, as automatic loss of any data can't make anyone happy :-/

Hi,

I just tested the trial version of Affinity Photo a few months back and waiting for the bug that loose date of shot in RAW files (and other informations in the EXIF) to the exported files to be fixed to actually buy the software. Looking at other posts, it seems that it's still not solved and that's a shame... I would really like to come to Affinity (Lightroom is not that easy to use). Let me know if the problem is solved.

Hi lexislav,

This doesn't happen if you save the file in Affinity Photo native file format (.afphoto), however when exported to other formats yes, only the canvas area is exported. That's expected.

I should learn english better obviously :-)

1) I am working with native affinity photo format afphoto and the mentioned clipping has nothing to do with file format or saving it

2) it is related just to Erase Brush Tool [e]. When I move layer so part of it is behind canvas edge and then I use Erase Brush Tool on the still visible part of layer, the part of layer outside canvas is clipped. I am convinced that there is no reason for that and it makes composing layers more complicated.

Hopefully I have explained the problem better this time :-)

Hi lexislav,

i understood you were working with the Erase Brush Tool but i still don't understand its relation with the issue at hand.

When you move a layer so it crosses the boundaries of the canvas, it becomes clipped no matter the tool you are using (in Photo)...

What am i missing here?

When I move a layer so it crosses the boundaries of the canvas, it is not beeing instantly clipped luckily. If it would I won't use Photo for more than one minute :-)

I am sending „screencast“ when I use stamp and erase brush on layers moved partially behind canvas boundaries and it works just fine, as expected: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lvw17fd9e93ieh/affinitybug-clipping-test1?dl=0

On this second screencast You can see, how the layer is clipped (not good behaviour):  https://www.dropbox.com/s/yizxs8w4q0zz0ds/affinitybug-clipping-test2.mov?dl=0

But I have already spotted the core of the issue: I was working with placed image and when Erase brush was used,  the layer was rasterized. And areas currently out of canvas has been clipped away. So the bug I am experienced is not related to Erase Brush Tool and is already reported in few topics:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23211-rasterizing-an-object-off-canvas/?hl=rasterize

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18814-rasterise-crops-image-which-messes-up-the-bleed/?hl=rasterize

etc.

Andy... When will Macros get some more love?

Không chỉ thiết kế website tại hà nội mà các tỉnh thành lơn trên cả nước IUL đề cung cấp dịch vụ thiết kế website giá rẻ và chuyên nghiệp, các dịch vụ làm web của IUL như: Thiết kế web giới thiệu công tythiết kế web du lịch giá rẻ, thiết kế web trọn gói theo yêu cầu và nhiều khó học đào tạo ban hang truc tuyen lẫn kinh doanh ban hang tren fb thành công

This "crop with rasterize" is a nasty behavior. Thanks lexislav for raising the problem again.

I'm fighting with it quite often - for instance, aplying perspective filter on an image larger than canvas is impossible. The image gets clipped instantly, so the only option is to apply perspective filter in different document and then copy paste the distorted image to the target document :(

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• Staff

Hi lexislav,

Here When you move a layer so it crosses the boundaries of the canvas, it becomes clipped no matter the tool you are using (in Photo)... I meant clipped visually not cropped.

Thanks for the videos. I see what you mean now. However this doesn't happen in the latest Affinity Photo Beta (where i was testing). Placed images are now added as Pixel layers and as such are not rasterised anymore when you try to delete them with the Erase Tool or any other process.

Lojza,

The Perspective (and others filters) also don't crop the image anymore in the latest Beta (1.5 Beta 4).

Using Photo beta4 with Wacom Intuos4

As the current 1.4 MAS version doesn’t show live adjustments as they’er being made when using a Wacom tablet I thought to give the latest beta4 a try to see how well it dose.

Sadly there’s still a ways to go yet I fear.

Here are the Live Layer Adjustments and Live Filters I’ve found so far who’s sliders still won’t update live with the Wacom. (Plus three that will also crash the app and one that makes the photo vanish!)

Live Adjustment Layers control sliders still not working correctly with Wacom tablet:

Levels Adjustment

Curves Adjustment

Recolour Adjustment & Split Toning (Partially broke? No live screen update as the Hue sliders are moved but their Saturation sliders do update live)

All Live Filter Layers control sliders still not working correctly with tablet:

In addition I’ve found the following serious problems;

Median Blur, Bilateral Blur & Dust & Scratch Removal, all three will trigger an instant app crash every time I try and choose them. (Same thing happens using mouse or trackpad, so not Wacom specific)

Perspective Grid. Photo just vanishes leaving only the chequer background visible, just like it were a blank canvas. Turning off or removing the filter returns the photo.

Two weeks now and although no comment has been forth coming, (I like to think it's because the devs are too busy fixing what must be quite a coding problem to be spending time hanging out here much ;)) I was just wondering how the fix for this ongoing Wacom issue is coming on?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hi lexislav,

Here When you move a layer so it crosses the boundaries of the canvas, it becomes clipped no matter the tool you are using (in Photo)... I meant clipped visually not cropped.

Thanks for the videos. I see what you mean now. However this doesn't happen in the latest Affinity Photo Beta (where i was testing). Placed images are now added as Pixel layers and as such are not rasterised anymore when you try to delete them with the Erase Tool or any other process.

Lojza,

The Perspective (and others filters) also don't crop the image anymore in the latest Beta (1.5 Beta 4).

Hi Meb,

Yes, I have just tested all of this on new file and You are right (again). The file I was working on yesterday was created on previous beta versions and placed images were (image) not (pixel) layers. And that lead to the uwanted cropping.

But I agree with Lojza that this cropping when rasterizing layers should be removed (fixed). It can quite complicate our work, mess up the bleed etc.

Hi lexislav,

Lojza,

Wow! Thanks for info, this is brilliant!

And sorry for misunderstading the clip / crop difference, too ;)

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.