You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 4)

Using Photo beta4 with Wacom Intuos4

As the current 1.4 MAS version doesn’t show live adjustments as they’er being made when using a Wacom tablet I thought to give the latest beta4 a try to see how well it dose.
Sadly there’s still a ways to go yet I fear.

Here are the Live Layer Adjustments and Live Filters I’ve found so far who’s sliders still won’t update live with the Wacom. (Plus three that will also crash the app and one that makes the photo vanish!)

Live Adjustment Layers control sliders still not working correctly with Wacom tablet:
Levels Adjustment
Curves Adjustment
Recolour Adjustment & Split Toning (Partially broke? No live screen update as the Hue sliders are moved but their Saturation sliders do update live)

All Live Filter Layers control sliders still not working correctly with tablet:
In addition I’ve found the following serious problems;
Median Blur, Bilateral Blur & Dust & Scratch Removal, all three will trigger an instant app crash every time I try and choose them. (Same thing happens using mouse or trackpad, so not Wacom specific)

Perspective Grid. Photo just vanishes leaving only the chequer background visible, just like it were a blank canvas. Turning off or removing the filter returns the photo.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

As the current 1.4 MAS version doesn’t show live adjustments as they’er being made when using a Wacom tablet I thought to give the latest beta4 a try to see how well it dose.

Here are the Live Layer Adjustments and Live Filters I’ve found so far who’s sliders still won’t update live with the Wacom. (Plus three that will also crash the app and one that makes the photo vanish!)

Live Adjustment Layers control sliders still not working correctly with Wacom tablet:

Levels Adjustment

Curves Adjustment

Recolour Adjustment & Split Toning (Partially broke? No live screen update as the Hue sliders are moved but their Saturation sliders do update live)

Median Blur, Bilateral Blur & Dust & Scratch Removal, all three will trigger an instant app crash every time I try and choose them. (Same thing happens using mouse or trackpad, so not Wacom specific)

Perspective Grid. Photo just vanishes leaving only the chequer background visible, just like it were a blank canvas. Turning off or removing the filter returns the photo.

Same issues here. Thanks for reporting.

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Fantastic!

Only a request: is it possible to improve the responsiveness of ramps in Jitters?

When you have one or two jitters active no problems, but if these increase lags make them barely usable, I guess it is due to stroke preview maybe?

PS.

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember a check box in Brush Editor to turn on/off live preview of the stroke, it was one of the earliest betas of AD, with an orange "beta" letter in that panel...

Too many beers?  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Dust and Scratches Tool works fine but the Dust and Scratches Live Filter crashes mine too.  Click on it and Photo immediately disappears.  For what it's worth, I'm finally out of Mountain Lion and into El Capitan so that's no longer a factor for me.

Confirmed here.  Photo crashes immediately.

Levels Adjustment

Curves Adjustment

Interesting... I reported same Problem on several threads. Last time on this thread (page 2) https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21056-whats-coming-in-affinity-photo-15/page-2, where MattP meant: "I did check this Wacom issue and can confirm that the 1.5 Beta is currently showing that this is no longer a problem :)"

We have the same 1.5? Cause on mine it isn't workin. The problem is known since 9 month! Must be rocket science to solve it, or devs just ignore it.

I hope this is the right place to share this kind of stuff but I have two feature suggestions for Affinity Photo 1.5 or later:

1.  Allow the ruler to center it's origin (otherwise known as zero) in the middle of the image.

2.  Allow for holding ALT when selecting marquee-selecting to have the marquee center itself at the start point, rather than using the start point as a bounding extent as it currently does.

These tow items are particularly useful in Photoshop (and other image software) for working with symmetrical/centered elements.

Thanks!

Yeah, Wacom tablet still seems to suffer from some pains here and there (I'm using Wacom Pen & Touch).

I guess dragging with tablet pen in general is not properly reflected in Affinity. Not only the sliders, but also changing object's size isn't "live" - the object is not resized until drag is over, snapping does not work while dragging. The whole tablet usability is screwed by this...

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Andy,

Can you guys do something about plugin previews not syncing with the actual document in saturation for wider gamut working spaces? This is really a deal breaker for functional plugins that deal with tone and color. This isn't limited to AP. There is a thread on dpreview about it happening with ACDSee. With most plugins, one can get a match by converting the source to sRGB, but who wants that limitation?. Viveza is the worst: hues actually change to a sort of color infared film look not correctable by sRGB conversion.  :(

Lloyd

It seems like I have run into a serious bug that deleted my curves adjustment layer, got rid of inpainting adjustments and depleted my history. I think I was just scrubbing the history bar and it all disappeared. Will clicking revert get me back to my last saved state? I am pretty sure it's a big rather then user error since I have never had anything like this happen with a stable build of Affinity Photo or Photoshop.

UPDATE: It looks like some but not all of the inpainting edits were saved before this happened.

I hate to say this but it looks like the failed to save document bug is back. It is no where near as common as it was with the last beta. 

UPDATE 2: I tried another edit from Affinity which was able to save back to Photos but when I reopen the file in Affinity the changes made in the last session got lost.

I am not sure why the forums keep posting "Schedule" at the end of my posts.

Schedule

Hmm … there are issues with the numeric inputs right to the sliders in the German localisation throughout the app (just an example below). But I assume it doesn’t make sense to report localisation issues at this point, does it?  :unsure:

Alex  :)

post-1198-0-48006800-1473020935_thumb.png

Opening PSDs from Lightroom 6/CC in beta 1.5 seems to be very experimental :-)

post-1445-0-80084500-1473179527_thumb.png

Files are open from LR trought Edit In > Affinity Photo Beta in

EDIT: roundtrip in Capture One works smoothly even with affinity tiff layers. 

post-1445-0-80084500-1473179527_thumb.png

Did Betas before this series (1.5) overwrite the Tools panel customizations?  I don't remember them doing so but I'm not sure.  In any case, once I get my Tools Panel recreated...again...I think I'll just skip future betas and wait for the MAS release.  It's too time-consuming to redo everything every few days.

Yes, I've asked about this several times in the past. Every time I install a new version I have to completely re-configure my workspace. Since AP remembers your workspace from one session to the next it must keep the parameters stored somewhere. The ability to export those to a workspace configuration file would be a huge bonus!

Please, please, pretty please, developers. It can't be rocket science!  ;)

Using latest beta with Apple Photos. When editing raw in the develop persona using the gradient overlay, setting the reach of the gradient is difficult as the line does not always behave as expected - it is difficult to control and is not responsive. Sometimes I can drag on the node and nothing happens or it lags well behind my pointer. Is this a known issue?

Thanks

EDIT: roundtrip in Capture One works smoothly even with affinity tiff layers. 

I am not on the Beta, but this is great news. Is Affinity finally able to safe/export not only with the ".tiff" ending but also with ".tif"? So is it a real round trip (C1 exports TIFF as Variant -> Affinity reads/saves/exports as .tif -> C1 recognizes the updated .tif Variant?) Right now it is quite cumbersome when using C1 Pro.

I am not on the Beta, but this is great news. Is Affinity finally able to safe/export not only with the ".tiff" ending but also with ".tif"? So is it a real round trip (C1 exports TIFF as Variant -> Affinity reads/saves/exports as .tif -> C1 recognizes the updated .tif Variant?) Right now it is quite cumbersome when using C1 Pro.

I am not expert on Capture One as I am currently testing it (Capture One Pro 9.2.1) as possible replacement for my current workflow in LR. But I can confirm, that Affinity Photo 1.5 Beta 4 can save yourfilename.tif and that C1 recognize the updated variant. When You hit cmd+s in Affinity Photo, You can choose from Save with layers and Save as. Save with layers would make the roundtrip to C1 real.

Maybe answered elsewhere, can I ask how the image is dealt with going to and from Apple Photos? I tried an app recently that created a copy of each image in the user library to preserve the original, which of course increases disk space usage on every use. Then there was format limitations.

Think I managed to get one back as raw and replace the original. However when I dug in the "masters" folder, the original was there. The front pane preview on photos was showing the edited version.

Need to play some more, any nots on this?

If you did that Jef I would like to know how :).  The word on the street is that cannot be done due to constraints imposed by Apple. I have noticed instances where Apple says it is RAW but when you look at the file info it is actually a jpg. To be honest, I have tried to like Apple Photos if for no other reason than it is a way to move away from Adobe CC. The fact remains however that LR is a far superior DAM and a far superior RAW editor. Things will hopefully change when Affinity DAM is with us but until then I will stick with LR (and therefore PS due to its integration), using AP for one off jobs whilst I get to know it well. Apple Photos is, imho, there for camera snappers and in that respect it does work quite well.

I am not expert on Capture One as I am currently testing it (Capture One Pro 9.2.1) as possible replacement for my current workflow in LR. But I can confirm, that Affinity Photo 1.5 Beta 4 can save yourfilename.tif and that C1 recognize the updated variant. When You hit cmd+s in Affinity Photo, You can choose from Save with layers and Save as. Save with layers would make the roundtrip to C1 real.

Excellent. Actually I was considering the same. I did not particularly like LR, but I had to replace Aperture. After some testing I recently switched to C1 and I do not regret it. I also use DxO Optics Pro / Film / ViewPoint and the NIK collection. With Affinity taking care of Pano, HDR and Focus Stacking there is for me no need to return to LR anymore.

If you did that Jef I would like to know how :).  The word on the street is that cannot be done due to constraints imposed by Apple. I have noticed instances where Apple says it is RAW but when you look at the file info it is actually a jpg. To be honest, I have tried to like Apple Photos if for no other reason than it is a way to move away from Adobe CC. The fact remains however that LR is a far superior DAM and a far superior RAW editor. Things will hopefully change when Affinity DAM is with us but until then I will stick with LR (and therefore PS due to its integration), using AP for one off jobs whilst I get to know it well. Apple Photos is, imho, there for camera snappers and in that respect it does work quite well.

Ah, so you now have me wondering if the info on my returned cropped was actually pointing to the original in the "masters" inside the photo library but the modified one was a JPEG in the main viewer but it did not show on the info (as it was pointing to the original)?

After modifying the image in such a way it would stand out from the original, the crop, I searched for the file name. Still using the same one the camera had issued and it only showed up once. As a RAW. Must make not of the sizes then and compare again.

More experimenting later I think. I deleted the images (they were a test).

Personally I liked iPhoto for my humble needs but Photo went the wrong way but this extension may do what I want as I am wanting to iCloud stuff. At the moment I have no real DAM, Photoshop Elements is what I tried, but not 100% liking it. Tried the trial of Lightroom but not sold, tried DxO and missed the boat on the sale for the new one so fishing for another angle that ties my iThings together. Just a fussy sod really.

Saying that I still use the Canon editor more often for getting started and fire that off to Affinity on occasion. That is quite handy for checking focus and deleting stuff quickly.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.