You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 4)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes, improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 4 Here

This is an early beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Improvements & Fixes

- Improved supported RAW cameras - including cameras with X-Pro2 sensors.
- Fixed issues where resized layers could not be painted on.
- Fixed Apple Core Image RAW engine on macOS Sierra.
- Fixed failure to write metadata.
- Implemented Live Perspective Projection.
- Fixed crashes with some Live Filters.
- Added a couple of missing icons.
- More macOS Sierra improvements.
- Improvements to HSL adjustment when in HSV mode.
- Improved curves adjustment when switching between colour models.
- Fixed “Edit -> Paste FX” issues.
- Fixed “Edit In” extension (you will need the latest macOS Sierra beta).
- Photo can now load and store the extra channels from PSD files.
- Increased the exposure adjustment range - and made the slider non-linear.
- Don’t quit the app when batch jobs are still running.
- Added more export options to batch dialog.
- Improved 32-bit Preview panel.
- Improved Tone Mapping performance.
- Improved feedback when tone mapping, HDR Merging and Focus Stacking.
- Improved hit testing for text objects, plus clicking in text tools will now always prefer text objects when selecting.
- Fix for text wrapping behaviour with unclosed frames.
- Re-enabled ability to export metadata in File->Export->More.
- Document palettes are now available from the fill flyout.
- HSL slider mode in the Colour Chooser now correctly updates the colour box to show the chosen Saturation level.
- Miscellaneous other small fixes.

Thanks again for taking the time to use this beta!

Affinity Photo Team    :ph34r:

Live perspective projection sounds interesting  B)

Exposure adjustment

- the arrow keys in the exposure adjustment go in one stop steps, I´d find 0,1 stops much more useful

- -2 EV in RAW and +2EV in Photo persona is still verry different from the original

just had a crash after deselecting the 32bit preview panel and activating it again and then switching an image into 32bit RGB and entering HDR persona, AP just crashed with the attached log (wanted to figure out what this panel does and could not see it although it was checked so I thought it might only show in 32bit mode or HDR persona)

​the issue with curves and the info panel is indeed fixed, thanks  ;)

could not spot an adjustable sampler size in the info panel though and missing some fixes for the curves  :lol:

and my list of macros to do is getting longer which is good and I´m looking forward to using some of them and probably sharing some as well  :) hope they get really useful, also together with linked layers and live filters :wub:  to have an action to have several live filters in a group effecting all underlying layers would be great

thanks for your time taking in these feedbacks  :lol:

PS: pleeeease implement a non destructive smudge tool :ph34r:

....and a Bridge replacement so that I can remove this last Adobe stuff  -_-

seems as if some of the adobe buddies wound´t mind a bridge refresh as well

Did Betas before this series (1.5) overwrite the Tools panel customizations?  I don't remember them doing so but I'm not sure.  In any case, once I get my Tools Panel recreated...again...I think I'll just skip future betas and wait for the MAS release.  It's too time-consuming to redo everything every few days.

It is possible to "batch Develop" RAW files? I have a large set of RAW files for a timelapse and want to batch process them, but I can't record macros in the Develop persona.  I see in the topic for Beta 3 that "Batch can now process RAW files without making them dark" but I don't know how to make this happen.

(Apologies if this has been answered already - I've searched but haven't found anything.)

Andy... When will Macros get some more love?

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• Staff

jbrittonb,

Yes - go to File -> New Batch, then add your RAW files as you would normal files. If you mean batch process RAW using some sort of template made with the Develop Persona - we don't have this yet, but it's on our radar!

smadell,

We're trying to bring all the new features along at the same pace - and we still have some way to go with all of them.

Macros didn't get much time at all this week, but hopefully they will be improved somewhat for next week.

KipV,

Yes - it appears to be stable for me now. If you can still break it, please let me know..

Thanks, 

Thanks, Andy. Enjoy your weekend!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I've tried to open a .afphoto-file of AP 1.5 Beta 1 and the latest Beta 4 of AP crashes. Is there a known issue with it?

-this file includes my first test of a HDR-Merge in combination with the scratches-filter

Opening files from Beta 3 are working great...

Thanks Andy, yes I did mean batch processing that applies functions in the Develop persona.  Glad to hear that's on the radar!

I did try batch processing from the Photo persona by adding the RAW files as you describe and it worked for me, although the output seems to be different (lighter, some highlights not as distinct) than as presented by default in the Develop persona, whether they're processed into jpegs or .afphoto files.  

Thanks for these new improvements, they're most welcome!

Ah!  I missed that.  Should have paid more attention when I was installing the last two.  Of course, it wouldn't have helped me, if I had.  As far as I know, you can't export Tool Panel settings.  And I made a bunch! of changes there.  Don't like grouped tools so all of those got pulled off and replaced with the single versions.  I do have a previously saved Shortcuts dealie though.  That will ease the pain a bit.

I know they're new and a work in progress but macros aren't very useful yet:

If I make a macro for boosting local contrast with the "radius 100% unsharp mask with a lighten blend mode" trick you made in a recent video on Facebook, it doesn't remember the 100% radius (the percentage, it does create an unsharp mask filter) so to use it on another image, I have to run the macro and then manually go to the unsharp mask filter and edit the radius which the macro should really do for me.

Also, the library is very bare bones at the moment: I can create a new category, but I can't actually put anything in it.

Dust and scratches live filter makes the programme crash

Dust and Scratches Tool works fine but the Dust and Scratches Live Filter crashes mine too.  Click on it and Photo immediately disappears.  For what it's worth, I'm finally out of Mountain Lion and into El Capitan so that's no longer a factor for me.

Hi Andy,

Now that the studio elements can be positioned in both left and right sides of the UI (please see the attached image), it will be great to hide either the left or right studio independently.  At the moment, the View->Studio->Hide Studio hides all studio panels on the screen.   Independently hiding the left or right studio will help some of us on small screen.

As an example, after taking an image into the Tonal Mapping Persona, and selecting a preset of choice, I would like to hide the Preset panel on the right to gain more screen real estate and while showing the left studio panel to continue to apply adjustment to an image.   

I posted a similar request for panels in the Designer forum https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/21294-affinity-designer-customer-beta-15-beta-2/?p=100185 sometime ago.

Could you please kindly add this time saving feature for us??  It will really make me happy.

Nana

post-13053-0-00194300-1472413860_thumb.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.