You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shadow tool

I'd also like to see some more styles of shadow, like the current 'material design's long shadows and maybe perspective shadows.

I can make nice realistic shadow in Affinity Photo (with perspective tool, mesh warp, + some blur effect, end etc.) but i can not make it on Affinity Designer. 

• Staff

Affinity Designer do not have good blur filters or perspective tools or morphing. And i do not have idea how to make really good shadow for objects. 

Maybe you can made a specially tool for shadows?

Hi cjclip,

Have you tried the Outer Shadow FX and/or the Gaussian Blur FX to create  them? You may need to use more than one shape for realistic shadows but should be feasible.

That looks like a "multiply" grey gradient with one swipe of the transparency tool...  :D

Actually it's 30% opacity black blending to 0% opacity black. Making a fading gradient isn't something I have trouble with.

You're forgetting that the shadow is only extending from the bottom left edges of the object. hence the need to create a shape that replicates the top and right edges of the parent shape, but extends infinitely down and to the left. It is time consuming.

I attach an image demonstrating your error....

post-30049-0-55093900-1472580474_thumb.png

I agree, that shape on the left is not what I would've done. You would just create an irregular shape in behind the people and fill it with a shadow colour then apply the transparency tool. 

I agree, that shape on the left is not what I would've done. You would just create an irregular shape in behind the people and fill it with a shadow colour then apply the transparency tool.

Well yes, that's exactly how I created it in the first place. But my point was that I'd like a much quicker/easier way. It would be great if i could just drag the shadow tool from the edge of an object to create this effect.