budaloco

Affinity explodes when saving.

There is a VERY annoying crash I've encountered a numerous number of times. The way I recreate is this one:

1. Create new document
  2. Design
  3. Save
  4. Before saving, create a new folder
  5. Affinity dissapears, no warning, nothing. It closes.
  6. Open affinity again, load recovery file.

I've lost a great deal of files when the recovery file was not available.

What I do is:

1. Create new document
  2. design
  3. save WHEREVER it is
  4. Go to finder, create new file in desided directory
  5. Move file there
  6. Keep working
  7. Save normaly.

Is there any way to fix this!

Hi budaloco,

I've just tried to reproduce your issue. Everything seems to be working fine for me! Are you using a beta version of Affinity or maybe of OS X? This might be useful information.

Cheers

Hi budaloco

This is something we are aware of. Unfortunately this is an issue that is on the OS side of things so we have very little control over this. I've heard this may be sorted in Sierra but I cant completely verify this

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

As Chris says - the "New Folder" button on the save dialog sometimes results in a crash.  The save dialog is a system dialog we have to use because of Sandbox requirements - unfortunately it seems to have a serious bug in it that Apple needs to fix!  This is not something that we can fix.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

So...what should I do...I've sent SEVERAL reports on this matter to apple. Maybe you, as developers have more access to Apple devs than me...a simple user.

Maybe try to remember NOT to create new folders from this dialog...it's a shame we can't fix this from our side.

Well..thanks for checking this matter. Thankfully the recovery file always recues me. Today I've had 3 crashes like that one alone.

Best regards.

B.

An obvious workaround is to not create new folders from the Save dialog.  Create them in Finder before saving.  If it crashes the app most times you try it, why keep hitting your head against that brick wall?  I've actually never managed to crash it when testing, so it's not something we've even been able to debug properly.

We know it's broken - we can't fix Apple's bug.  Not sure what else we can do really..?  And, no, we don't have any more influence over Apple than you do.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB