You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spot colors not appearing in TIFF and EPS

Hello

When I export an image with spot colours as TIFF or EPS, the spot colours don't appear in the exported image. It looks like they are converted to CMYK.

They do appear in an exported PDF but I haven't checked any other format.

Thanks!

Bauke

Hi Bauke

Thanks for raising this. We only do spot colours in PDF at the moment hence why none of the other formats produce them. I wouldn't say that this is a bug, more a feature request to have spot colours enabled for the other compatible formats so I am moving this to the feature request section

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. As it's now a feature request, I'll add some arguments for implementing this.

– Next to PDF, many still expect their logo to be delivered in TIFF and EPS in Pantone colours. The new batch-export in Designer is a joy to work with when exporting logos, but yesterday I had to remove the TIFF and EPS options from the workflow because they lost their spot colours.

– When preparing bitmap artwork (like an illustration) to be incorporated in a layout for offset/letterpress/silkscreen, I think for many a TIFF would be the first choice file. In that case, spot colours are indispensable.

Thanks for considering!

Bauke

I don't believe TIFF or most other raster formats support PMS colors. Can anyone confirm this?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I don't believe TIFF or most other raster formats support PMS colors. Can anyone confirm this?

Technically, yes, TIFF does support spot color channels. But whether another application will (say a layout application) is iffy. PSD does (obviously) and even a bitmap wrapped in a special EPS container does. The DCS EPS format is one such format that most layout applications (older and newer) will allow spot color channels to survive. But DCS is almost a dead format.

• 1 month later...

Please do consider adding  "spot colours as TIFF" ... as this is the only thing stopping me completely changing over to affinity photo.

Same here. For one of our clients we have to integrate a Gold-Pantone color in the images.

In Photoshop this appears as a separate color channel (in PSD, TIF and PDF). When used in InDesign the Pantone-Color is automatically added. And when exported as a PDF for printing the Pantone color is exported as a separation.

If Pantone colors worked the same way in Affinity Photo, we'd switch from Photoshop in a heartbeat. Until then, we just can't.

Same here. For one of our clients we have to integrate a Gold-Pantone color in the images.

In Photoshop this appears as a separate color channel (in PSD, TIF and PDF). When used in InDesign the Pantone-Color is automatically added. And when exported as a PDF for printing the Pantone color is exported as a separation.

If Pantone colors worked the same way in Affinity Photo, we'd switch from Photoshop in a heartbeat. Until then, we just can't.

I use Windows and so have no access to APhoto.

But from the above post by Chris it sounds like the spot makes it to the PDF so it should work to place the PDF in ID and have the spot be there in the swatches panel.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this? It appears that EPS export still doesn't support Pantone spot colours!

It seems rather convoluted to have to export as PDF then open in Illustrator in order to save as EPS.

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that EPS and PDF were very closely related document formats.

• 6 months later...

I have been following this topic for 2 years ...

On 10/26/2016 at 5:15 AM, leonp638 said:

Please do consider adding  "spot colours as TIFF" ... as this is the only thing stopping me completely changing over to affinity photo.

I have been using Affinity for the last few years & I am very happy with it BUT allot of my work requires me being able to generate a TIFF file with CMYK + spot channel for white.  This is for printing with UV printers which not only print the CMYK colours BUT also white.  Everything I do depends on it.  Being able to create spot channel in PDF doesn't help me at all.

Is there a patient issues which stops affinity providing this option??  If so, it would be understandable BUT it would be nice if you let us know so that I can find another option.  it is really a shame that affinity cannot do it.