cognociente

Can I assign a color to a variable name?

I want to assign a particular color to a variable because this one color is used in several/many elements in my design. I would like to be able to point the same variable to a different color and then have all the related elements of my design change accordingly. This would entail me assigning a stroke/fill to a variable value when I apply it in my design - as opposed to just assigning it (manually) to a particular color.

Thanks.

Hi cognociente,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use a Global Colour for this. Go to the Swatches panel menu on the top right and select Add Global Colour..., pick the color you want (it will be presented with a small white triangle on the bottom left in the swatches panel) and apply it to the objects as usual. If you double-click its color well in the swatches panel and change it, all objects will update accordingly.

Thanks MEB.

I believe that I did as you have suggested BUT when I change the global color (of the defined global) in the top right then the elements I have used that global color for do not change color accordingly?

I have no problem editing a global colour in AD on Windows beta 1.5.0.12, but the Undo and Redo keyboard shortcuts don't work. Undo and Redo work as expected via the History panel and the Edit menu.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)