You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

InDesign + Publisher compatability?

Apologies if this has already been asked a million times, but in my ideal world, I would be able to open up InDesign files in Publisher. 

I'm a writer who self-publishes, so I can make changes to the manuscript and re-upload it to Amazon. 

But if it's created in ID, and I can't open that up when Publisher comes out, I'll have to pay a month's subscription to Adobe, just to make a few corrections.

Photo has good compatibility - any chance Publisher will do likewise?

@Gumbo, depending upon the content of these books, renting for a month in order to transfer via copy/paste is also an option. Thereafter, edits would just be made in Affinity Publisher. But are you using ePubs at Amazon?

Perhaps MEB can clarify if APub will be able to output ePubs in case that is what you are selling via Amazon.

Mike

Hi gumbo23,

Publisher should be able to import indesign files although not for the initial release.

I also don't know what features we will be able to support at this point.

Do you happen to have a rough window for the beta release at this point? 2016 or 2017?

@Gumbo, depending upon the content of these books, renting for a month in order to transfer via copy/paste is also an option. Thereafter, edits would just be made in Affinity Publisher. But are you using ePubs at Amazon?

Perhaps MEB can clarify if APub will be able to output ePubs in case that is what you are selling via Amazon.

Mike

I'm putting out paperback and Kindle versions. InDesign has a Kindle plugin in beta at the moment, but I've yet to test it.

The ID Kindle plug-in is made by Amazon and has been in beta for a bunch of years. There have been a lot of people screaming over the years for Amazon to update it but they haven't done much with it. It does work for reflowable ePubs unless the layout is simple.

I have used it once upon a time, but I use a standalone application for ePubs. Even when I have used ID or QXP for ePubs, I have need to edit/fix them in it. Most of the time I take the same supplied Word file directly into it and work in tandem for the print version.

Mike

The ID Kindle plug-in is made by Amazon and has been in beta for a bunch of years. There have been a lot of people screaming over the years for Amazon to update it but they haven't done much with it. It does work for reflowable ePubs unless the layout is simple.

I have used it once upon a time, but I use a standalone application for ePubs. Even when I have used ID or QXP for ePubs, I have need to edit/fix them in it. Most of the time I take the same supplied Word file directly into it and work in tandem for the print version.

Mike

I was using Word for my books but this week I just had to walk away or lose my sanity. It's so unstable on the mac, and corrupts all the time. But, I hope that ID will get me through the current books, until Publisher is ready. Really crossing my fingers they put out something usable before too much longer.

What do you write Mike?

What do you write Mike?

Me? I write on forums... ;^)

I leave writing for others. I mainly layout, and at times illustrate, technical manuals, books and do various other publishing work, largely using XML (or tagged text) as the format that hits me from various CMS front-ends. 

There's not a creative bone in my body.

What type(s) of writing do you do?

Mike

Hi gumbo23,

Publisher should be able to import indesign files although not for the initial release.

I also don't know what features we will be able to support at this point.

As per Mike's point, it would be ideal if you have an ebook tool of some kind. I use kindle, as would many of the users.