You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, although I have understood that you sell exclusively through the appstore, I hope that you can help me out here.

I recently moved from China to Portugal. In China I still have a working credit card and an Appstore account, but (obviously) not a working Chinese mobile number anymore.

In Portugal I have a debet card (not a credit card) and although it has a Visa logo it cannot be used in the Appstore.

I really cannot care less if you need me to pay any costs associated with the purchase of your software through other channels than the appstore, I just hope that you can offer a little bit more flexibility towards people that really want to use your software but don't have access to the appstore.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Thanks,

Piet 

Some people use Apple Gift Cards rather than credit cards to create an AppStore credit balance, and then purchase within that balance. Would this work for you?

Unfortunately gift cards will not work for me. I'm on the Azores and there is no Apple shop here. I think there isn't even an Apple store in mainland Portugal, but even if there is, I cannot just fly 3.5hrs to the mainland and back to buy a gift card.

Unless of course I send you money with PayPal to buy me a gift card, that you then send to me so I can buy Affinity :)

• Staff
Unfortunately gift cards will not work for me. I'm on the Azores and there is no Apple shop here. I think there isn't even an Apple store in mainland Portugal, but even if there is, I cannot just fly 3.5hrs to the mainland and back to buy a gift card

You can buy iTunes Gift Cards online through iTunes that can be used to purchase apps through the Mac App Store. More info can be found here: https://support.apple.com/HT201783

Hi pietbos, welcome to the forum :)

You can buy iTunes Gift Cards online through iTunes that can be used to purchase apps through the Mac App Store. More info can be found here: https://support.apple.com/HT201783

LOL, guess that was more of rhetorical question 

you can buy iTunes credits yourself via PayPal though (at least they had an offer at some point and I bought reduced iTunes credits directly from PayPal)

overall I guess Apple support is the best place to help you out, they definitely have an interest in helping you as well and can directly see your account details and maybe make necessary modifications 

That's how you enter a vicious circle. Did I mention that I cannot use the Appstore in Portugal? Also the Portuguese Appstore doesn't accept PayPal. So not possible to buy a giftcard for iTunes.

So not a rhetorical question, I actually need someone who is willing to send me a EUR 49.99 gift card which I of course pay for using PayPal, so I can puirchase Affinity. 

Bizarre really that a software company lets its potential clients jump through so many hoops. 

• Staff

I recently moved from China to Portugal. In China I still have a working credit card and an Appstore account, but (obviously) not a working Chinese mobile number anymore.

In Portugal I have a debet card (not a credit card) and although it has a Visa logo it cannot be used in the Appstore.

Some debit cards issued by China based banks only work in China so this is most probably why it's not working in the Mac App Store. As MBd suggests, you should contact Apple to see if they have any alternative methods of payment that you can use. 

https://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact/

I don't understand what your mobile number has to do with this. Your Apple ID & password are all you need to access all of the services associated with your Apple account, including managing things like your contact phone number(s), payment type, & billing address. To change any of it, go to https://appleid.apple.com/& sign in with your Apple ID & password.

You can also manage payment type, billing address, & country/region settings directly through the Mac App Store app by clicking on "Account" in the Quick links section on the Featured, Top Charts, or Categories sections of that app.

The only thing you cannot change is your Apple ID, but it doesn't matter what the "@xyz.com" part is for payment, contact, or any other purpose.

iTunes Gift Cards can only be used in the country of purchase (see for example http://www.apple.com/pt/shop/gift-cardsfor the Portuguese language Apple page about that) so sending you one purchased in another country would not help. However, local retailers in many parts of the world sell gift cards, including iTunes ones, so you may be able to find a store near you that does.

I also found several online retailers who sell iTunes Gift Cards for use in Portugal (only) by searching the web on the phrase "iTunes gift cards in Portugal," for example at SEA Gamer & OffGamers. I know nothing about these retailers, so do not consider this a recommendation, just an example of the alternative sources for the cards.

EDIT: Glad to see you solved this yourself. For the benefit of others who might have the same issue, it would be helpful if you posted a little about how you did that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't understand what your mobile number has to do with this.

Maybe not in the USA, but in many other countries SMS verification is needed for payments. That is what my mobile number has to do with it.

Regarding your other tips, thanks, I will keep that in mind for next time.

If SMS verification is needed, you can change the phone number for that on your account management page. This should work for all countries.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7