You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Did you know, you can use Artboards in Affinity Photo

Simply great an empty Artboard in AD and open it in AP. It fully works. You can now drag elements outside the document as in AD, this is great for composing something or make more pages side by side. You can even copy the artboards oder change the size. I didn't know about this feature and thought it's only for AD. Maybe it helps some of you. I like to work with this!

For all who don't have AD, here's an empty Artboard document: ArtBoard.afphoto

post-19128-0-61211400-1471942991.jpg

post-19128-0-61211400-1471942991_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi m-b,

Affinity native file format(s) are compatible between all Affinity apps.

There's no need to create a document in Designer and open it in Photo. You can simply work in Designer as usual and if you need to move everything to Photo (History included) go to menu File ▸ Edit in Photo... The inverse is also true.

Hi m-b,

Affinity native file format(s) are compatible between all Affinity apps.

There's no need to create a document in Designer and open it in Photo. You can simply work in Designer as usual and if you need to move everything to Photo (History included) go to menu File ▸ Edit in Photo... The inverse is also true.

Thanks for the tip! But it would be better to have this 'artboard funktion' in AP, not everybody has AD. Artboard is really nice to work!
By the way, when I switch from AD to AP via [Edith Photo in...] and make some Layer Effects on a Jpegs (e.g. a Blur) and go back to AD I get many display errors. Don't no why but it did not really work for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, m-b said:

Are there any reasons why 1.6 still didn't get its own Artboard function?

Artboards are really useful, even if you work with photos only. It should be possible to create own Artboards without AD.

I agree, it would differentiate it from the competition, no?

@m-b

This is just the functionality I was after, even though I didn't know it was possible. Suddenly the screen space is five times bigger... Like an enormous virtual desk opening up before my eyes.

Perfect.

It is so useful to have this in AffinityPhoto.

Thank you so much for posting the Artboard file.

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

13 minutes ago, Roger C said:

@m-b

This is just the functionality I was after, even though I didn't know it was possible. Suddenly the screen space is five times bigger... Like an enormous virtual desk opening up before my eyes.

Perfect.

It is so useful to have this in AffinityPhoto.

Thank you so much for posting the Artboard file.

I'm happy if this helps other users who don't have AD. : )

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 5/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, Uffe said:

How do one resize a canvas Affinity Photo when you have two artboards? Rezise Canvas is then greymarked.

I don't know if you found the answer yet (but probably have). Just copy & resize the artboard as artboards effectively sit on/become the 'canvas'.

Also for those without AD you can create artboards in AP by opening a PDF with 2 or more pages. Each page will be an artboard and all you need to do is delete the content (not the artboards), export as a template and you can create new docs with artboards at any time.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, Dangerous said:

I don't know if you found the answer yet (but probably have). Just copy & resize the artboard as artboards effectively sit on/become the 'canvas'.

Also for those without AD you can create artboards in AP by opening a PDF with 2 or more pages. Each page will be an artboard and all you need to do is delete the content (not the artboards), export as a template and you can create new docs with artboards at any time.

You can add artboards to Affinity Photo at any time using my Mud’s Macro.afmacros library, function “Create Artboard”

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help