You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a method to apply a stroke to a selection marquee?

Hello. 

Having consigned my CC account to the trash can, I am now learning to use Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. My question concerns the addition of a stroke to the selection marquee. I have searched the forums and cannot find any answer and wonder if a more experienced user of Affinity Photo can help me. 

Photoshop had a very simple method by which a stroke could be applied to any selection marquee. This was a really useful feature and I used it regularly for highlighting salient features of images which I had included in presentations, where the images would be included to illustrate important points in the discussion.

I would like to know what sequence of events I should follow in Affinity Photo when applying a coloured stroke to a selection marquee. Thank you for your assistance. 

There may be a simpler method and I’m sure someone will chime in with it if there is.  The only way I could come up with to do it is to:

Select a Rectangle Shape (not a Selection, a Shape)

Set Fill to White; Stroke to Black (or whatever color you like) and Width to the desired thickness

Place the Rectangle in the general area and go to:

Filters > Colors > Erase White Paper

Use the Move tool to re-position and/or re-size the now empty but stroked rectangle if needed.

For reasons that I don’t understand, once you’ve done this, you can add any number of other Shapes as stroked outlines without having to do the Erase White Paper step.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys and Dolls

What I wanted to do. I have a frame with a pre-cut matt. I wanted the image to be inside the matt with a 1 cm border and a black stroke around the image.

What I did in Affinity Photo. Created a new document at the size of the Matt aperture. Filled with white. With my image open on another tab flattened it, right clicked to copy it.

I went back to the new white background image, clicked on the background layer and right clicked to paste my image. 

I then selected my newly pasted image layer, and with the move tool repositioned it on the background leaving a border. From top menu selected arrange - align middle.

With the image layer selected go to layer effects outline and select a radius. Looks OK and is now hanging on my wall

On 1/14/2017 at 6:47 AM, julz said:

Hi,

I'm using Designer for Windows and I can't seem to find Selection>Outline.

Any other workarounds? Stroke selection is a very useful feature.

Thanks.

You need to be in Pixel Persona in Affinity Designer to see Select > Outline...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, Painty said:

Hmmm... I'd like to use the magic wand selection to choose a shape from a photo, give it a stroke and export the outline to designer.... How does one do THAT!?

Well, as Designer does not have the magic wand selection (Flood Select) tool, that will be difficult. :)

It does have (in the Pixel Persona) a Selection Brush Tool, which you can perhaps use in a similar way to make a selection. You could then use Select > Outline as mentioned above, and flood-fill the outline area.

I'm not sure what you mean about exporting the outline to designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 7 months later...
On 8/23/2016 at 1:51 AM, Fixx said:

You could go Select>Outline... and you have a selection area which you can fill and have something like stroke around selection.

Or you can make new layer of the selection and use layer fx to make a border around selection.

What am I missing? I've tried your second option above, to make a new layer of the selection and use layer fx to make a border around the selection. Here is a video of what I'm doing. Is there an "Apply" button that I'm missing? Thanks. 

Why don't you just use a shape (Blue square icon) with a stroke and no fill?

If you want to select an area of an image, you can make a selection then copy/paste to a new layer and apply the fx outline to it. Making a selection of an empty area will not let you apply a stroke, there has to be substance, pixels, a fill of some sort.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 4 months later...